Why did I stomp an 85 GN to 60 MPH?

whtpny

Dec 8, 2002
Spokane WA.
OK guys we all know how slow my car must be as stock as it is. The only real help is the gears. I was out with my wife and a guy pulls up next to me in a GN. He revs a bit and I look over and tell him I am no dummy I know what those run. He said he always respects 5.0s but wanted to go to 60 anyway. The road we were on has a 45 speed limit so I figure what the heck. Neither of us staged up at all just stomped on it from the line and I put 2 car lengths on him before he came close to even staying even. I know how turbo lag works but I still felt he should have walked my car. We went again from a 25 roll and I did the same thing. Neither time did he catch up. I know on a track where we had some room I am sure it would have been different. Also, this car was not a ragged out POS it was really nice. My best guess on why I beat up on him was mostly due to the 20" wheels he had.

Any thoughts?

Before anyone flames me for streetracing yes I know DUMB. Sometimes it is hard to back down.

• Sponsors (?)

hmmm... Wonder if he had gears better suited for highway use. But i agree that is weird, may be a bad tune? Especially an AOD GT vert, they are probably the most heavy and slow V8 aero nose.(Oh and not raggin on you, I have almost the same mods and bodystyle, just statin the facts)

Here's specs on an '85 GN:

1985 Buick Grand National
Engine Location Front
Drive Type Rear Wheel
Weight 3280 lbs | 1487.8 kg

Engine
Engine Configuration V
Cylinders 6
Aspiration/Induction Turbocharged
Displacement 3791.00 cc | 231.3 cu in. | 3.8 L.
Valves 12 valves.
2 valves per cylinder.
Valvetrain OHV
Horsepower 235.00 BHP (173 KW) @ 4400.00 RPM
Torque 330.00 Ft-Lbs (447.5 NM) @ 2800.00 RPM
HP to Weight Ratio 14.0 LB / HP (Vehicles with similar ratio)
HP / Liter 61.8 BHP / Liter
Bore 3.81 in | 96.8 mm.
Stroke 3.40 in | 86.4 mm.
Compression Ratio 8.0:1

Not raggin at all. I drive it so I know all too well how slow it is. Most people leave me alone because it does look pretty tough i might say. Anyway afterwards he did ask me what I had done to it and told him it had a "Chip and a Muffler". He said yea right and took off in a different direction. It did make my wife laugh though.

Just wondering how you knew it was an 85? not another year? Im not sure if theres another way to tell, I would guys it was the rims. You sure it was a real GN?

The GN is no uber car... stock its a 14-second car, just like the 5.0's. I know yours is AOD but maybe with the gears it was enough. Since it's from the 80's, even though it looked nice there's no way to tell from the outside how the engine is running.

Asked him what year it was. I have been around quite a few to tell the difference from the T-Types and the GN. I knew the 85s were down on power from the 87s but it was real nice with a good sounding exhaust. I guess I am saying I am 95% sure it was real without an inspection.

Dont get me wrong i LOVE mustangs, but my grandmother owns a GN and let me tell you thoes things are REALLY nice cars, they are FAST AS HELL, i know this may sound dumb but i was actully thinking of making custom engine brackets and putting the GN engine in a fox mustang, could you imagine how fast the thing would go?

and i dont know y u pulled

jslatts said:
Dont get me wrong i LOVE mustangs, but my grandmother owns a GN and let me tell you thoes things are REALLY nice cars, they are FAST AS HELL, i know this may sound dumb but i was actully thinking of making custom engine brackets and putting the GN engine in a fox mustang, could you imagine how fast the thing would go?

Not that much faster than a stock 5.0L:)

5spd GT said:
An 87 GN isn't anything special. The GNX is though:)

One of my all time favorite cars...

Watch out for modded GN's...

I thought the 87 GN's came with a better Garret turbo and upgraded intercooler? Maybe it was the GNX's. :scracth:

They are, but they are quicker than a regular GN. The regular GN's are around stock 5.0L status in terms of straightline performance.

The GNX was underrated at 276hp I believe.

The GN's got better as the years went on, with slight changes here and there. Up to 87 or so.

The GNX is the sought after model though. A bit over 500 made...