Why did my lights go out.

bvav22

Jul 1, 2004
Michigan
first time on freeway today with my car, as i was going into 5th at around 70 mph and as i got to about 80 the car started vibrated very noticably, but it really felt like my exhuast pipes just vibrating agianst the holes in the bumper :-/ , so i was like watever. but then i hit a small bump, and BAM my lights go out. JUST my headlights the warning lights and inside lights all worked. i hit another bump. they came on for a short second and then went out. i got off the freeway and was at a light and they wouldnt come on until i went into gear and they stayed on ever since. i figure its a loose wire, but what wire would be loose that ONLY the headlights go out?

• Sponsors (?)

You can also check the wiring at the multi function switch itself. On early aero foxes, it's a red/yellow wire that goes from the headlight switch to the MF switch, and it can back out of the MF switch connector.

If not, check the headlight switch terminals.

Good luck.

Possibly a wire like hissin suggested. The light switch itself and the wire is a POS.
Are you using aftermarket bulbs with a greater wattage draw? Like white bulbs?

yes fogs were on. i have no clue what bulbs are in there, i am gonna say stock becuase they are not much brighter than i would expect, when i turn the fogs on however. you can see the headlights dim a little, and they go slightly brighten when the fogs are off

If you had fogs on at the same time this all occurred and you havent done the fog light rewiring/relay retrofit, I'd do it. The circuit protection in the headlight switch might have been getting toasty enough to get irritated with a bump. (I'd do the retrofit no matter what).

Good luck.

bvav22 said:
and what is this retrofit?
CHeck the Corral tech articles (or search in here for a link to this article). Basically, Ford decided to use the headlight switch circuit to power fogs, and this overpowers the circuit. You use a relay as a means to source battery power for the fog lights, thus umburdening the headlight switch (of the fogs).

Very simple to do.

FWIW, I run a relay on lows, highs and fogs to unburden all of the switch gear and get more lighting output.

Good luck.

SEE http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/foglights.html to fix the problem. The stock wiring isn't up to the job and is overheating. The headlight switch & turn/multifunction switch are affected by Ford's wiring problem. Sometimes it overheats so badly that the plastic shells of the wiring connectors start to melt. This will show you how to add a relay to the fog lights to relieve the overload on the headlight wiring.