Why do stock gauges suck?

• Sponsors (?)

b/c Ford sucks at quality :shrug:

why do our headlights suck, why do our leather seats suck, why does the dash rattle, why does the IAC suck, why does the dipstick suck, why does foam come out of the AC vents....

and yet, why do i love you so Mustang? :D <3 i watched my dad drive his stangs as a kid, i learned to work on cars on stangs, i learned to drive on stangs and i've always had a stang for my mode of transportation...im addicted :( Ford has be by the balls.

My guess is because, they are not as accurate as the stock ones. The stock gauges really don't break down the numbers like aftermarket ones do. (maybe because they don't have any freakin' numbers to start off with :bang: )

I look at my gauges and could not tell you exactly what temp. my car is running, or what my exact oil pressure is. For the everyday Joe Schmo driver, i guess it's ok. But not for enthusiasts like most of the people on this website that are into performance.

Hey Streetstang03, FOAM out of the AC vents?! :( What's up with that?

what I am asking is what is so bad about them that everyone doesnt like. Is it because they dont move like they are supposed to or is it because the readings they get are innacurate?

Because the Tach and speedo at 60+ MPH are not visible unless you tilt your steering wheel up... for guys 5'11 and up.
I like my wheel tilted down, not up like a trucker. But if It tilt down, can't see the tach.

That's why they suck!

DogVomit said:
Because the Tach and speedo at 60+ MPH are not visible unless you tilt your steering wheel up... for guys 5'11 and up.
I like my wheel tilted down, not up like a trucker. But if It tilt down, can't see the tach.

That's why they suck!

Because when the car was designed it was designed around the idea that that average driver is 5' 10" tall. The industry standard. All cars are designed with a spec of what an average driver height is and then things are placed where they need to be so the most possible drivers can see everything they need to see. The Focus, by comparison, was designed around the idea that the average driver is 6' tall. If you get intoone of them, they feel roomy as can be.

I have the same problem you have. I just tilt the wheel sligthly forward and forget about it. It's really no big deal. How much time do spend looking at the guages? I only glance at them from time to time. I couldn't really care anyless if I can seee the actual number the arrow is pointing at. I know about what speed is listed there and if the arrow is pointing in that direction. Close enough.

So the gauges don't "suck", it's just that you are at one end of the spectrum.

I like the stock ones. They are not designed to be precise and that throws some mystery and excitement into my daily driving. :D

02LaserRed2V said:
Aftermarket gauges aren't any more accurate than the stockers.

That's not even close to true. Autometer, Autogauge, VDO, etc... tachs and guages are definitly more accurate than stock. Speedos probably are too, but that's not so importent.