why do yall not like the 5.4L

• Sponsors (?)

Ok Smart guy.

Where did I say better air?

Why does the 5.4 flow more air? It couldn't be the longer stroke...

Put inadequate heads on motor with a longer stroke, what do you get? Lots of low end torque. I guess you are too dumb to see that.

not a damn one of you idiots has ever done it and you're so sure it's no good. What a bunch of morons.

Nope your right, I have not done it and I won't.

Your car is making 50 RWHP and 30 RWTQ less than mine SAE corrected on a Mustang Dyno. You have a 5 speed car, I have a 4 speed auto car with an IRS. We have similar heads, cams, you have a better exhaust. I am using a plastic PI intake. My car doesn't fall flat on its face at 5000 RPM like yours does. When my car was dynoed, it had literally no miles on it and maybe ran for 25 minutes. The only thing I have more on you other than HP and TQ is a dyno-tune.

I am the moron for not wanting to try something so stupid. When your car makes more power than mine, I might give the 5.4 swap some credit. Like I said earlier, you have 50 RWHP to gain to equal my car and you already have more mods.

All I did was read what you wrote. I refuse to enter into imature name calling and degrading, which is what this thread has turned into. People should be able to disagree without having to listen to responses that name call, degrade and lack foundational facts to support their position. I see nothing wrong with performing a 5.4 swap, but it is my position that your money can be better spent with better results for the dollar on your existing 4.6 2V. To each his own. I prefer 48 IDAs on my 67 289 coupe vintage racer, but most would tell you that it is a waste of money and that my money could be better spent to go faster on a different induction system. Again, to each their own...

All I did was read what you wrote. I refuse to enter into imature name calling and degrading, which is what this thread has turned into. People should be able to disagree without having to listen to responses that name call, degrade and lack foundational facts to support their position. I see nothing wrong with performing a 5.4 swap, but it is my position that your money can be better spent with better results for the dollar on your existing 4.6 2V. To each his own. I prefer 48 IDAs on my 67 289 coupe vintage racer, but most would tell you that it is a waste of money and that my money could be better spent to go faster on a different induction system. Again, to each their own...

good post...I don't get all the hate toward 5.4 swaps :shrug:

and what if one is replacing the existing 4.6?...for a street car I simple don't see a huge down side with the 5.4 (other than possibly California emission issues)

Lets keep it civil gents. I've already had to do a little wrist slapping....I don't want to have to close down a perfectly good (and informative) thread because some of you can't keep your heads when "debating" the pros vs. cons on this subject. Great points brought up by all, otherwise. :nice:

I guess im missing the point to this????Even if you swap a 5.4 2V into a stang and hypothetically it cost 2k wink wink. Couldnt you spend 3-4k on a blower and smoke the 5.4 frankenstang. Look at the Lightning motors they blow up past 450WRHP. What makes the 5.4 good ???. Hey I got a Idea why dont we look over at MPH and see what Tim runs in his 2v 8-9 second cars. .......4.6 strokers KB. I havnt seen a 5.4 2v street car stang run a 9. Someone link me if one exist.

Either way SYXYA or what ever the name is will never swap it anyway. Or ever break 550wrhp if he does

I figure, in my case, a 5.4 is just a doable as a 4.6. I am not N/A. Don't ever plan on ever being N/A. Its all a waste of money and time without FI on these cars. When I build my motor this spring. I am going to do the 5.4 swap. Its not hard to get a donor motor like I already plan on doing, and putting some good internals in there. I need the extra grunt down low. I have 3.73's right now. But I am going back to a taller gear. I don't drag race. I am setting up more for Bonnieville or some other top speed challenge.

There are a few reasons not to consider a 5.4 2V swap.

1) It adds significant weight to the nose of the car.

2) It is not a drop and go swap.

3) It doesn't add any horsepower, actually loses it.

4) Very little aftermarket support, most of what is available is because of the 4.6.

5) Better alternatives for the cost.

:lol: why dont you try it and post your results. sounds like a great waste of time and money to me

actually he has done it... and he is pushing. 278.8 RWHP, and 332.2 RWTQ on a mustang dyno.
Heads: Fox Lake Stage 2
Intake: HPS 4.6 Hardball'r w/ Reichard plates
Exhaust: FRPP Shorties
Cams: Comp XE270ah-13

and right now he is looking at long tube headers and a better tune. he was about a full point rich on that one...
pasts list
dyno chart

2) It is not a drop and go swap.

yeah it is.. you just change 3 things on the engine drop it in place where your 4.6 was hook everything back up and your on your way... thats drop and swap to me... you put intake adapter, new front cover, move your oil pan over, and adjust 2 heater hoses.. the rest is good the way it is.

actually he has done it... and he is pushing. 278.8 RWHP, and 332.2 RWTQ on a mustang dyno.
Heads: Fox Lake Stage 2
Intake: HPS 4.6 Hardball'r w/ Reichard plates
Exhaust: FRPP Shorties
Cams: Comp XE270ah-13

and right now he is looking at long tube headers and a better tune. he was about a full point rich on that one...
pasts list
dyno chart

Not to come off as confrontational here, but 278.8RWHP and 332RWTQ doesn't sound all that impressive to me when you consider he's got ported heads, cams, intake and exhaust mods. I've seen 4.6L 2V's but down similar or better numbers with the same mods? :shrug:

Redneck's car according to his website made 244 RWHP with a bolt on 4.6. Add those ported heads and cams to that and he would easily have had his 278 RWHP that his 5.5L is making, and probably more.

Not to come off as confrontational here, but 278.8RWHP and 332RWTQ doesn't sound all that impressive to me when you consider he's got ported heads, cams, intake and exhaust mods. I've seen 4.6L 2V's but down similar or better numbers with the same mods? :shrug:

Brian,

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

That is info the guys that are pushing the 5.4 2V swap don't want the rest of us to know...:D

but none of this answers why some of you are so uptight about the 5.4??? it's not like guys are swapping in a Japanese turbo 4 or something...

I'm not planning on putting on a 5.4 myself, but I don't get the hate some people are spewing??? does it make huge improvements? probably not...but does it cause huge losses? nope, probably not...seems just like a different way to skin a cat

and maybe 'cause I'm old ;)...but IMHO dyno numbers are useful tuning tools but don't really indicate a cars performance all that well...I.E. a 300HP 4 cyl with a tiny, narrow power band will more often than not get it's butt handed to it by a 250HP V-8 with a big flat torque curve...

I just think there are other more cost effective and convenient ways to make power. IMO the 4.6L can make more than enough power, especially for a street car.

Some ppl often get caught up in the setup they have and try to convince everyone else their route is the best way to go.

We all have our own reasons for choosing our mods, but it doesn't mean it would be the best route for someone else.

Ya like i am going to have an NA build to run high 12s on motor and spray into the 11s. I just want 12s comfortably on motor because that is plenty fast for a street car and then spray it when i want more power at the track so i have a good reliability.

but none of this answers why some of you are so uptight about the 5.4??? it's not like guys are swapping in a Japanese turbo 4 or something...

I'm not planning on putting on a 5.4 myself, but I don't get the hate some people are spewing??? does it make huge improvements? probably not...but does it cause huge losses? nope, probably not...seems just like a different way to skin a cat

and maybe 'cause I'm old ;)...but IMHO dyno numbers are useful tuning tools but don't really indicate a cars performance all that well...I.E. a 300HP 4 cyl with a tiny, narrow power band will more often than not get it's butt handed to it by a 250HP V-8 with a big flat torque curve...

Here is what I don't like. Guys ask what kind of mods they can do for X-amount of dollars. People jump in and say do a 5.4 swap. You don't see me pushing, well if you are going to do a engine swap, make it a Big-Bore 4.6. It is not relevant to the question.

When people do that, I will jump all over them. The only benefit of a 5.4 2V swap is a torque increase. It is has 5 major dis-advantages of which I listed above. I don't mind people doing a 5.4 2V swap, but they shouldn't be pushing it on others and that is why I share the love...

I used to want to do a 5.4 swap. When I was looking at doing it not much of anyone had tried it yet. I scoped it out for 3 years and came to the conclusion that it wasn't a good idea without 4v's. That a chit ton of money for porting heads and getting performance cams, new hood & paint for it, not to mention the intake and exhaust costs. I ended up just camming and aluminum explorer block and ended up having enough fun with that... Well who ever has enough fun?