Why does everyone bash the Cobra intake?

• Sponsors (?)

Why pay to buy it and then pay to have it ported if you can buy something else that works better without porting, which you can then have ported to work even better?

Because the best for a street engine is sometimes in between a stock GT40/Cobra/Explorer and the next step up such as a Street Heat, RPMII, Track Heat, TFS-R or whatever. If there was a perfect as-cast intake for every set of engine parts, there would be no intake porters in this sport - turns out there are a bunch of them.

Yeah i see your point. I just have a different way of thinking....i have an ultimate goal engine and i buy parts that suit that engine, and usually those parts don't suit my current combo very well. But, i'm the type that only likes to buy something once.

I do like the Cobra/GT-40/Explorer intakes, they flow great and make awesome mid-range torque for a mild 302. They all are good looking, but for some reason the Explorer is my favorite in terms of looks. I had the chance to get a Cobra upper, but I went for the Explorer... I dunno, I just think its sexy. The GT-40s are way overpriced.

But for my money, the SEXIEST intakes on the market are the Trick Flow R-Series:

tfs-51511003.jpg

:drool:

I agree.I like the Explorer intakes as well.I'd like a GT40,but,the price is a little overwhelming for me.Here's my Explorer intake..........

000_0510.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah,I agree.I have to pull the intake soon and will break out the Dremmel and handle that problem.I made the intake plate from a piece of scrap aluminum I saw on the ground at the metal scrap yard.I wanted a simple look.

I agree.I like the Explorer intakes as well.I'd like a GT40,but,the price is a little overwhelming for me.Here's my Explorer intake..........

000_0510.jpg

Thats pretty sexy man, I like it.

lot of polishing work in that intake - I would have removed the last remenants of that bracket before the polishing.

I love my Exploder so much that when I finally upgrade my motor package (read: stroker), I think I'm going to store it away and save it for a later, milder, show-and-shine build. I'd eventually like to grind out that bracket so the fins line up like it was never there, fill over the core plugs, grind all the casting parting lines off, hog out the upper and lower, and powdercoat it something beautiful. Until then, here is my engine enamel handiwork:

DSCF0027.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0027.jpg
    DSCF0027.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 000_0510.jpg
    000_0510.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 175
i have a like new cobra intake oem original with oem lower that has a broken bolt in it.it is mildly ported and i'm wondering how difficult would it be to weld aluminum.the previous owner cut a chunk off of it trying to get the bolt out.i have been told for my set up i don't have to worry about it.

Thats pretty sexy man, I like it.

I love my Exploder so much that when I finally upgrade my motor package (read: stroker), I think I'm going to store it away and save it for a later, milder, show-and-shine build. I'd eventually like to grind out that bracket so the fins line up like it was never there, fill over the core plugs, grind all the casting parting lines off, hog out the upper and lower, and powdercoat it something beautiful. Until then, here is my engine enamel handiwork:

DSCF0027.jpg

God Lord!! Please paint that thing!

Attachments

• DSCF0027.jpg
    DSCF0027.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 160
I have a NOS brand new gt-40 tube intake and the rare cover for it that will be on my notch this weekend and running. I just need a 3/8 in spacer cause the vacum port hit the valve cover. I did trickflow heads trick flow stage one cam ford racing ceramic coated headers and
a NOS ford racing mass air conversion on my 14000 mile no option notch. Will have video's once its running so stay tuned.

Sure there's intakes that make more HP but i love my cobra intake to the point i don't mind giving up a little HP on my new build that RNH Performance has begun actually i love the torque it makes!! here's a couple pics from my crappy camera of my newly powdercoated intake and valve covers that do em no justice as rick will testify he has them now :nice:

powdercoat2004.jpg

powdercoat2003.jpg

goodies004.jpg

goodies006.jpg

th_powdercoat1.jpg

Attachments

• powdercoat2004.jpg
    powdercoat2004.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 152
  • goodies004.jpg
    goodies004.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 145
  • powdercoat2003.jpg
    powdercoat2003.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 178
  • th_powdercoat1.jpg
    th_powdercoat1.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 153
  • goodies006.jpg
    goodies006.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 260
^^ Holy Christ that engine will be gorgeous. Well done, sir. :nice:

Thank You!!!!! Yeah im starting to get real excited Rick's gonna send out my manifold power steering pulley for ultimate chrome powdercoating and my ac compressor out for polishing, then there's nothing left on the whole motor and engine bay that wont be chrome, billet, or powdercoated!!!.

PS i had your exact 86 back in 89 was only 3 years old mint condition bone stock except for gutting out the cats GOD I MISS HER DEARLY! :hail2:

one says "Made in China" on it and the other does not - and I'm not being a smart azz........also, the Chineese Upper has a small plaque right behind the TB that is not on the original.