Wide Band O2s

p51302

Mar 17, 2004
San Diego
Hi,

I want to utilize a wide band O2 system to help me dial in my car. Do any of you have experience with a system where I can utilize my current O2 bungs?

I am hoping someone out there will say you can use x. It allows you to change out your current O2, yet has plugs for the EEC and the O2 monitor. I may be dreaming, but I could have sworn I read about something like this in MM&FF.

Thanks in advance,
P51302

• Sponsors (?)

If you want to REPLACE your stock O2 with a WB, then yes it will work.

Most aftermarket WB O2's have the ability to simulate the stock NB O2's.

You run the simulated NB signal to the ecu, then run the WB signal to your gauge/meter.

As soon I get my motor back together...
I will be using a pair of LC-1, from Innovate. At $200, they were the best priced O2's I could find.
The LC-1 kit comes with some datalogging capability as well.

Does that answer your question, or did I completely mis-understand?

jason

Very good info from Jason above. :nice:

Jason, I thought I recalled some folks (though this was 94-95 specific) having issues running one WB lambda and one stock lambda. Does something like that sound vaguely familiar? I think the issue was with the values coming from the WB lambda when it needed to be interpreted by the puter.

I'm probably just losin it (even more than before). :D

You can weld another bung in the collector without taking out one of your other 02 sensors, my wideband came with one. I am not going to recommend one, but a lot of guys use the Innovate LM-1. I persoanally use the dynojet wideband commander an love it.

Anthony

Jason, I thought I recalled some folks (though this was 94-95 specific) having issues running one WB lambda and one stock lambda. Does something like that sound vaguely familiar? I think the issue was with the values coming from the WB lambda when it needed to be interpreted by the puter.
:D

I suppose there is potential for problems...

I'm not sure what would cause issues though.
Assuming the NB simulator is properly cofigured (I'm not even sure if there is any adjustment allowed by the user though), and that the WB is properly calibrated in free air, I would think it would work quite well.

If the problem only occured when replacing 1 of the stockers, and not when replacing both...
Then this kinda suggests a problem with the adaptive?
Just a guess on my part...

I'm gonna see if I can find a thread in the sn95 section on this.
If you know a link, let me know...

thank,
jason

I have quite a bit of experiance with the innovate Lc-1's on 94-95's. Last year i installed 2 of them in place of my factory narrow band o2's. Most of the time i spent trying to figure out how to do the wiring to get it to tie into the factory computer. The LC-1 (and a few others im sure) have 2 analog outputs and a digital output. The digital is used for innovate's own gauge and the analog are output to dataloggers, ecu's, ext. One of those outputs come factory preset to emulate a NB o2. I ran all the wires from my widebands down to the computer mounting location on the passenger side. You ground the system to the same ground that the computer uses and tie in the wideband to the computer at the main wiring harness as soon as it exits the computer. If you want more information feel free to send me a PM. Also do a search under my name for posts and you can find quite a bit of info where i did this research. Both WB's run flawlessly with my computer and dont throw any codes at all. Good luck and keep me posted.

I failed to mention how easy it was to tie into the computer....Basic electrical knowledge is needed but its not hard. You just clip the right color wire as soon as it leaves the comp (you will need a 94/95 eec diagram for this...it is different from fox cars) and either sauter (sp?) or used crimps. I found the first method easier as the lc-1 wires are very small and its hard to get a crimp to hold it. Send me a PM and i can take some pictures if you want...

Thank you.

You guys answered my question.

I'm guessing the best solution is just to weld in another bung.

But, I do have the information to utilize the same bungs.

Thanks your input and knowledge,
p51302