Wide rear tires, moving rear shock question

bodzilla02

Jun 16, 2009
Maine
Hey everyone, my first post here. I picked up a 92 gt a few weeks ago (my second pony, my first was a 94 gt), and I saw some wheels that I like. The fronts will be 17x9, obviously no problem. However, the rears are 17x10. It said something with it that you need to slightly need to adjust the rear shocks so nothing hits and is an easy fix. Can someone explain this to me as to how simple it is to do?? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I think they are tlaking about the quad shocks. When you look in the rear wheel well you will see them. In some cases you need to flip them around.. the fat end swaps with the thin end to allow for a wider tire.

I am not sure that17x9 are no problem in the front. You need to check the backspacing to be sure. I have those 4 lug cobra r replicas that are 17x9 and they don't fit on the front without rubbing in sharp turns. I have 17x8 fronts and 17x9 rears. No reason for wider fronts, it would be harder on the steering and performance anyway.

Oh shoot... yes I meant to say 17x8 haha I didnt catch that. The wheels are available in 8,9, and 10. And yes the quad shocks is what they mentioned. Is that easy to swap the fat and skinny ends like you said?

When i put my new rims on i had to flip the quad shocks in order to fit the rears on with out rubbing.I'm running 17x9 rims all around with a 235 up front and a 275 tire out back.Its an easy fix, took me maybe 10 mins to do per side.

nono I dont mind the threadjack haha. Its a good question, the wheels I plan on getting are 17x10 with a +25mm offset and 6.45" backspace. I also plan on lowering the car about 1"-1.5". Will that setup work with the flipped quad shocks? (I also checked that out today and realized how easy it is to do)

Hard to tell by the photo, and maybe a little more work and $ than you wanted to spend. I sent my 88GT to Doug @ Auto Kraft in Lincoln, NE. The guy is great at widening factory fenders. He punched my front and rear fenders 1 1/4" and still retained the factory side triangle glass. Good ol fashion bean bag and BFH. He had to respray the fenders of course but it enabled me to run up to 295 in the rear (shown) I can put 275's in front if I wanted. Iam currently running 265/35/18 in front, and 295/35/18 BFG drag radials in rear with quad shocks mounted in their regular fashion. I for got Dougs lastname @ Auto Kraft, but he's the guy who builds all the TIGER Racing mustangs for the SCCA. Great guy too!

rbonella-albums-1988-mustang-gt-picture3565-back-view.jpg

Hard to tell by the photo, and maybe a little more work and $ than you wanted to spend. I sent my 88GT to Doug @ Auto Kraft in Lincoln, NE. The guy is great at widening factory fenders. He punched my front and rear fenders 1 1/4" and still retained the factory side triangle glass. Good ol fashion bean bag and BFH. He had to respray the fenders of course but it enabled me to run up to 295 in the rear (shown) I can put 275's in front if I wanted. Iam currently running 265/35/18 in front, and 295/35/18 BFG drag radials in rear with quad shocks mounted in their regular fashion. I for got Dougs lastname @ Auto Kraft, but he's the guy who builds all the TIGER Racing mustangs for the SCCA. Great guy too!

rbonella-albums-1988-mustang-gt-picture3565-back-view.jpg

Nice looking car you got there, not quite sure if i like the wing though.Got any side profile pics? I like the black/black thing you got going.

I put that wing on in 1996 when everyone was buying the foxbody saleen wings. I wanted to be different so I purchased that newer-age saleen bi wing. Now adays I think its a little ricey for me. I might be going back to basics

rbonella-albums-1988-mustang-gt-picture3564-side-view.jpg

Your car is so clean, i actually think a stock GT wing would look nicer.

I have a Fox Saleen wing on my car....I really want to take it off and put a stock LX spoiler on. Hell, i might even go with a GT spoiler just so I don't have to redrill the hatch. :(

I know this went off topic... but I have a stock GT spoiler I'm going to be selling. I havent officially put it up for sale yet, but Im going to end up stripping it off anyways, so if anyone wants to buy it let me know.