wierd issue at start up

Sivstang

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2001
Every morning or everytime after work after first starting the car and giving it a lil rev, it bogs. It only happens at first start up let it idle then a quick rev and it will bog and sorta pop.

Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Do you mean it bogs the first time you go to take-off (i.e. out of the driveway)? Mine always did that before in cold weather, bogged on the first take-off but then drove normally, but I had to change the ECT sensor in september because my fan wouldn't turn on, and nowadays it hardly ever bogs. Not sure if the ECT is related to this problem but its the only thing I changed on the motor before cold weather hit. I did a search on it before and some have luck with an ECT swap, and some don't. It seems pretty common though.

Yeah, Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. Its the one that sits at the top of the heater pipe going accross the passenger side valve cover. Its at the front end, right behind the thermostat housing area. You'll need a big friggin wrench to take it out, I just use an adjustable. And make sure the threads on the new one have some teflon tape or some sort of thread sealer on them before you put it in. Its a 5 minute job.

You can also disconnect the electrical connector to the ECT and ohm it out. Look for a very high value in colder temps (50*F or below). It should be ~40K Ohms or greater, as I recall.

Good luck.

Good point by JT as always. When I ohmed-out my old one last fall, it was completely shot, an open-circuit. I'm surprised it didn't throw a code :shrug: And it was a Napa one I had purchased only 8 months prior to it failing. I guess it can be hit or miss on some brands. The brass ones seem to last longer than the black plastic ones, but they're not cheap. But thankfully the chap at Napa was nice enough to warranty my plastic one without a receipt :cheers:

Well, I have since replaced the coil, wires, and the ECT, still having same issue. I am getting better gas milage now. hah I will attack my MAF again, I cleaned it ou about 8 months ago. Maybe ime to do it again.