Will 1.7 rockers work

trendkilllx

Aug 28, 2003
Las Vegas
Im doing a build up on the stock shortblock and just got a set of new tfs 1.7 3/8 stud rockers for free from a friend. I was wondering if there is a chance that I can use these instead of the 1.6's I was going to get. I was told that I most likely would not have enough piston to valve clearence. This is what I have,
AFR 165 58cc chambers
TFS stage one cam, 221/225 dur, .499/.510 lift
Also would there be a noticable power difference. I would really like to use them and save some $. Any help appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

The only way to know how much clearance you have is to measure it - someone else's experience/measurements won't be directly applicable to your engine. However, switching from 1.6's to 1.7's reduces p to v clearance very little -- with that cam you'll only lose about .005" (5 thousandths) of p to v clearance with the rocker swap. So unless you're right on the edge of clearance, they won't hurt you. Course, the only way to know whether you're right on the edge or not is to measure. .080" min. for intake/ .100" min. for exhaust. Check out the site for more info.

http://www.geocities.com/jjonibones/PVC.html