Will 13" rotors work with stock GT calipers?

noob question i know, but i was going to get a set of slotted/drilled rotors that are "made for cobras".
are the cobra, mach 1 and bullitt rotors all 13"...and will my stock GT calipers work with them?

and as always, the search tool was no help at all...

• Sponsors (?)

You can buy cobra/mach1/bullitt calipers for a good price from buyfordracing.com. They come with pads, so all you need besides the calipers are the rotors for 94-04 model installation.

Quick and easy to install, only 3 bolts to mess with after getting the wheel off.

You can reuse your stock brake lines. They will fit fine. 2003 GT's use the coarse style banjo bolt and the Mach 1 calipers i just put on my car also had the coarse bolt.

Either way, make sure you have the proper banjo bolt and two new copper washers before the install.

It's just a simple matter of 2 bolts holding the caliper on, 1 banjo bolt and sliding the rotor on and off.

pick what style you like best

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/index.php?cPath=6

awesome thanks for the help guys :nice:
that site has some good prices!

i wasnt intimidated at all about the caliper install because i've already taken the front end apart to install springs....but then i realized i have to deal with the brake lines? do i have to bleed them or what? (when i install the calipers)

how do you bleed them?

TrueBlue03 said:
thanks!

anyone got any info on bleeding the brakes?

all ya have to do is open the bleeders that are on the calipers and have someone pump the brakes and then tighten the nuts down when the fluid starts to come out so there is no air in the brake system. Really easy to do.

and on bullitt archive their are many maintenance tips heres the link to bleed the brakes. I suggest bookmarking the home page for future reference:nice:
http://www.bullittarchive.com/1003.htm

TrueBlue03 said:
Will I need a new set of brake hoses to go with the bullitt calipers?

Just so someone doing a search understands....

99-04 Mustangs do not need new brake lines, although an upgrade to stainless is a good idea.

94-98 Mustangs will need new brake lines.

Also, the new Calipers do not come with banjo bolts. They all take the coarse style bolts. If you buy new Stainless lines most kits come with new banjo hardware but if you decide you reuse your stock lines on your 99-04 you should buy the banjo bolt hardware from buyfordracing.com. It's $11

alright thanks dude. i really appreciate all the help and info! :hail2:

i think this is the last question....

will i need to purchase the rear caliper mounting brakets, moan braces and bolts? or will my stock hardware work for the new rear bullitt calipers?

TrueBlue03 said:
will i need to purchase the rear caliper mounting brakets, moan braces and bolts? or will my stock hardware work for the new rear bullitt calipers?

Do you just want to put on the bullitts calipers or do you want to do a rear brake upgrade as well.

The bullitt calipers are a direct bolt on onto the GT rear setup. Same caliper really, just painted red with a different U-shaped bracket than the GT.

If you want complete bullitt brakes and upgrade the puny 10.5" solid rotor to 11.65" vented rotors, you'll need this kit, but you gotta pull the axles to install it

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=477

Actually from what I understand, the 11.65" rear rotors will fit on the stock rear gt calipers. All you have to do is use worn-down pads to fit over the larger rotors or buy the pads made for it.

I think there is a lot of work involved in installing the rear upgrade calipers, including disassembling the rear end to access the axle completely.

Mustang5L5 said:
The bullitt calipers are a direct bolt on onto the GT rear setup. Same caliper really, just painted red with a different U-shaped bracket than the GT.

'93 Cobra R: 13x1.1" vented rotors, PBR dual piston 38mm unit from Corvette (interchangeable with Cobra and Bullitt calipers). 10.5" rear vented disc.

'94-95 V6 & GT: 10.8x1.0" front rotors, 66mm single piston calipers. Rear single piston 38mm Varga caliper, 10" solid rotor

'94-98 Cobra, '95 Cobra R: 13.0x1.1" KVH rotors, 38x38mm dual piston PBR calipers. Rear single piston 38mm Varga Caliper, 11.65" vented rotor

'99+ V6 & GT: 10.8x1.0" front rotors, 44.5x44.5mm dual piston PBR calipers. Rear single piston Varga caliper, 10" solid rotor

'99+ Cobra: 13.0x1.1" Brembo rotors, spec'd 40x40 mm dual piston PBR calipers. Rear single piston 38mm Varga Caliper, 11.65" vented rotor

'01 Bullitt Mustang: Same brakes as 94-98 Cobras (unique red PBR calipers with running horse up front, same varga caliper in rear painted red.) Rear single piston 38mm Varga Caliper, 11.65" vented rotor

'00 Cobra R: 13.0x1.1" Brembo rotors, Brembo 4 piston calipers. 36x40mm pistons. Rear disc the same as the stock '99+ Cobras

Notes on Parts:

The '94-95 spindles are different from the modular '96+ units. The '94-95 units have a curved steering arm and keep the stock track width on a fox3 car. These are the spindles that most people use on the fox3 cars to keep the stock track width. The '96+ units have a straight steering arm and will increase the track ~8mm per side. The '96+ units will give you even more ackerman steering and allows to run the '00R brake cooling ducts or other brake cooling systems. You may need to run a bumpsteer kit to use the SN95 spindles, especially if your car is lowered!

For the year, the spindles, hubs, rear axles, ebrake cables and rear calipers on the SN95s (94-98 for the rear calipers and axles on the Cobras) are the same on the V6, GT and Cobra. So if you are looking for these parts, you can get the parts from a V6 to save cost. Most wreckers charge more for the GT and Cobra parts, so you can beat them at their own game.

Since the rear calipers are the same between the 94-98 V6, GT and Cobra, how do they work with the larger Cobra brakes? First the cobra has a taller axle to caliper bracket to accommodate the 11.65" rotor. Second to accommodate the thicker rotor, the Cobras use brake pads that are thinner than the V6/GTs. There seems to be 3 different rear brackets between the 94-present Mustangs. Any will work, but if you use the GT/V6 bracket with the thicker cobra rotor, you may need to clearance the inside of the caliper bracket a bit.

bullitts use twin 38mm pistons, and the gt uses twin 44.5mm pistons. slightly different :nice:

triggz said:
Actually from what I understand, the 11.65" rear rotors will fit on the stock rear gt calipers. All you have to do is use worn-down pads to fit over the larger rotors or buy the pads made for it.

I think there is a lot of work involved in installing the rear upgrade calipers, including disassembling the rear end to access the axle completely.

You also need to grind the slot in the bracket wider to fit over the wider Cobra rotor. Not a hard modification. If i were to do the Cobra upgrade i would just modify the stock GT calipers i already have or purchace the Cobra-specific caliper brackets. They are about $40 each. Then no grinding necessary and they are lightly stronger than the GT brackets due to being connected in the front.

The calipers are a direct swap, but you need to pull the axles to install the axle brackets needed to run the 11.65" rotors. The axle brackets are what relocated the caliper further out for the larger rotor

yea i expected the rears to be a bit more complicated than the front brakes...but not THAT complicated :eek:

thanks so much for all the info guys! :nice: really good to know all that before i begin to buy all my parts.

i think im going to just buy some stock GT sized drilled/slotted rotors for the rear....and only do the larger 13" rotors up front with bullitt calipers.