Will Fox Bodies go up in value?

Sry impulse. cars = money pit... unless its a classic like you stated, and you restore it with matching numbers and all original parts I wouldnt expect to see any type of profit from any other vehicle..

-rS

• Sponsors (?)

I purchased a 1965 fastback mustang in 1989 for $3500 dollars, and thought that was pricey now it would be worth $20,000 in the same condition it was in in 1989 (still have it)which was modded. so I would say yes they will increase in value given time. Chris

I purchased a 1965 fastback mustang in 1989 for $3500 dollars, and thought that was pricey now it would be worth $20,000 in the same condition it was in in 1989 (still have it)which was modded. so I would say yes they will increase in value given time. Chris

Big difference between a '65 and a '79-'93.

That's like comparing the value of an original GT40 to a new Ford GT. Ones and originator, ones only a shadow of it's former self! Same holds true for the Fox.

I bought mine to make it how I like it without concern for how it would affect resale value.I knew it wasn't at all likely to be a good investment.I just like the car and justified the expense to modify it based on the fact it would cost me a lot less in depreciation than a newer car over the next 10 to 20+ years I plan to keep it.I will buy and drive a lot of new cars over that time and will lose a lot more money on them compared to my Stang.They will also be a lot less fun.Some people suggested I should buy a more classic car like a 60's Mustang as it would be a better investment but i just didn't like driving them.I drive my car whenever i want (in the summer)...I'm not worried about putting miles on it etc.Just enjoy it!

Exactly. I bought mine to have fun, not keep track of how much money i could sell it for in the back of my mind.

I hope to god the price of Foxes goes through the roof one day and they fetch $20K+ each...but it's not what i'm waiting for nor do i care as i would never sell mine

ALL foxes fom 85-93 will increase in value the older they get.

Of course we all know that the box stock cars will be worth more. My advice, cause IMO it is hard not to modify any fox :D is to keep the stock parts in storage. that way, in 15-20 years you could rstore the car back to stock and put it on BJ's auction.:shrug:

Also, as well all know, it is really hard to get your money out of any car, but there are deals out there and it is possible.

I know right now I have $28K in my 88 Saleen. I love the car. I am keeping all the stock parts and tastefully modding the car my way with todays technology that just wasn't available in 88.

Remember too, a lot of older 60's and 70's modded muscle cars are still going for a lot of money. Sure the stockers bring more but do I really want to own say a 78 Tran Am 4sp with a 6.6 rated at about 220hp? Sure , but at what cost? I would rather have the same car tastefully modified with better performance for less $$$ with the option to put it back to stock!

Just some ramblings.

I'd be interested to hear what you've based this conclusion on? You do realize they won't go up in value, just because owners want them to you know. ;)

Supply v.s. demand. I think in 10+ years after a lot of the 150K+ mile cars you see today that are used as daily driven beaters make it to the junkyard, the premium for lower mileage/nice cars will increase. Will they reach the collector status/value of early mustangs? I doubt it, but I bet that nice stock or heavily, tastefully modded 5.0's that are going for $4,000-$5,000 today will be going for nearly double that in 10-15 years.

Nicer cars keep becoming less common as time goes by. How many 50K mile 5.0's are out there now as opposed to in '98? How many will there be in 2018?

I think it really is just a matter of time. Not only do the fox cars have a large base/cult of enthusiasts, but things like the NMRA and Fun Ford Weekend (or even the local dragstrip for that matter) events continue to keep them in the spotlight, and make them popular with those who weren't even born when the last of the foxes 5.0's were made.

There will NEVER be another fuel injected car that is so easy/fun to work on and modify. If you want to get ahold of a nice fox to play with in 15 years, you are going to pay for it. Just my opinion.

I'd be interested to hear what you've based this conclusion on? You do realize they won't go up in value, just because owners want them to you know. ;)

Just like any other special interest car, they will increase in value. American muscle cars of any decade will increase in value the older it gets.

Have you looked at any pricing or have read anything on any muscle cars of the 60's, 70's?

Saleens, Cobra's and a few smaller tuners such as Steeda (back in the fox days, no longer small!) will cetainly increase in value. Some more than others.

As for the stockers, low mileage original examples have already started to pass the sticker price when new.

I should clarify that I speak of ALL 5.0 Fox cars.

the close to stock they are the more desirable they are going to be in year's to come,

id love to pick up a low mileage fox body some day when im older.

mine has 94k on it right now..it aint to bad.
I agree, here in Houston, I see some nice ones on the road along with some hoopties.
I paid 3 grand for mine [ 88 GT Vert ] it was in good condition then & I have upgraded it as time goes on. [ new top, new paint, rebuilt motor & all new gaskets , front & rear seals, alumium drive shaft, new wheels & tires, new sound system etc ... ]
You still see a lot of foxes at the track [ basically stripped down for the track, always good to see a nice well kept Fox on the street though. :nice:
My understanding is that up north rust is a big problem for cars \ trucks .

Big difference between a '65 and a '79-'93.

That's like comparing the value of an original GT40 to a new Ford GT. Ones and originator, ones only a shadow of it's former self! Same holds true for the Fox.

Shadow of its former self... obviosly, you were't around cars in the late 80's. The only way to get any real performance for your dollar was in a Mustang, just as the inventors wanted back in 64. For $11,008 dollars, I left the showroom with a car that people sill look for today, performance you couldn't match, dollar for dollar. Shadow? If you dump $30,000 of your money today on a new Mustang, it won't have the same impact as the fox did on the industry. Ford wanted to cancel this line so bad, and forcefeed us the Probe, it was crazy. They wanted it dead. But the "shadow" kept on selling, we kept on buying, and now we have threads, and fans, and people saying, " I had one of those, it was awesome..." just like the old ones. And now they're getting hard to come by, good ones, anyway, and those people will part with ever increasing $ amounts to get one. I'd say, its coming full circle rather quickly. Bash the Fox if you want (maybe you should get one, first), but its the reason you have a new Mustang, and soon the Challenger, and the new Camaro... just like in the old days. Give it 10 years. I'll make money, if I wasn't planning on being buried in it.

ugh man this is why, when people let there cars go to hell like this the supply gose down there for the demand is up. hell look at the prices of fox bodies where the area they are in has a big problem with rust...in ohio a mint vert like mine with no rust new paint a nice interior and under 100k is an easy 6k+ car...even with it being an auto.

the supply is plenty...BUT plenty of rusted out and very abused foxes. very few low mileage nice condition ones out there that hasn't had the snot beat out of them.

this is why the demand is high.. there are a tons and i mean tons of fox bodies local to me sitting in there driveway rotting away :( there's an 85,86 GT thats been parked since i was at least 8 years old.

here is how 20% of foxes look in my area.

885.0vert005.jpg

the rest are rusty and peoples daily drive..then the very few are nice and very clean stangs...this is the reason i bought mine, i wanted to bring one back from the grave and save it from the crusher.

Attachments

• 885.0vert005.jpg
    885.0vert005.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 82
My biggest question about the value of fox bodies comes with the four eye cars. Usually, a classic has the highest value when it is 100% original. But I couldn't see demand for a 1979 Mustang 5.0 putting a tire burning 139 hp to the flywheel. I would be more willing to pay more for one with an EFI conversion. I wonder if others would think the same.

the cars of the fifties went up in value after the people who were kids when they came out got old enough and had enough money to afford them. Cars in the sixties went up after the baby boomers got money because those are the cars they saw when they were kids. Perhaps some rare 70's cars will gain value. The muscle car made a resurgence in the 80's, eventually people that grew up in that age as kids oooing and ahhing at those cars will want to own the cars they had as kids or couldnt quite afford. Im 39 and grew up with Trans Am GTAs and Nationals Mustangs and Camaros. Unless you have unbelievable foresight theres no real way to know what will have worth and what wont. I sold my 72 GTO for 2500. (i kick myself in the balls often) wish I had it now. Im sure my father wishes he still had his 62 tbird convertible or his 58 ford convertible or my mothers Falcon 2 door station wagon. Alot of Fox bodies have been made so its hard to say. I called it in 1990 that the 84-86 svo was going to be worth it as a collectible. Will it gain more value that remains to be seen.

For someone who does not like our cars you sure do post in here a lot.:D
Who says I don't like them? :shrug: I just think they’re dated and won’t be worth near what a lot of owners think they will simply because of their emotional involvement in the particular line.

You probably weren’t around then, but before I bought my XR7 and began spending more time over in the 4.6L section, I started over here in 5.0L area with you guys.

I had my '87 LX 5.0L for 6-years and loved it over pretty much the whole time I owned it. It was cheap (in cost and maintenance), fun to drive and looked good from any angle, but lets be honest.....it wasn't anything special. It was a cheap (bean counter special), crappy car (quality wise) with a torquey little V8 under the hood. Sure, the power and rear wheel drive configuration made you feel like you were driving a real sports car, but at the end of the day it was just an overpowered Fairmont we were driving. The fact that the chasis, suspension and brakes were so under qualified for the amount of power it was putting out made you feel that it was so race oriented more than anything because it was hell on wheels to keep on the road. :D I honestly can't say it did anything really well, except look good and go fast in a strait line. That combined with the fact that there were a gazillion of them made is the reason they’ll never be worth any real money later on down the road.
Shadow of its former self... obviosly, you were't around cars in the late 80's. The only way to get any real performance for your dollar was in a Mustang, just as the inventors wanted back in 64. For $11,008 dollars, I left the showroom with a car that people sill look for today, performance you couldn't match, dollar for dollar.
I think its you whose a little hazy on the 80’s? It was a horrible era for the North American Automotive Industry. The reason these cars sold so well was because unless you wanted to drive around in one of the Generals Camaro’s or Trans Am, your only other option for a RWD performance car was the more expensive Corvette, Grand National or Nissan 300ZX. It’s pretty easy to sell cars when “you” are your only competition. And it wasn’t just the Mustang that was considered reasonably priced throughout that time, pretty much everything made in North America went for a song because Ford, GM and Dodge were losing their shirts to the Japanese manufactures and had to off incentive to buy their product.

Shadow? If you dump $30,000 of your money today on a new Mustang, it won't have the same impact as the fox did on the industry. Ford wanted to cancel this line so bad, and forcefeed us the Probe, it was crazy. They wanted it dead. But the "shadow" kept on selling, we kept on buying, and now we have threads, and fans, and people saying, " I had one of those, it was awesome..." just like the old ones. And now they're getting hard to come by, good ones, anyway, and those people will part with ever increasing $ amounts to get one. I'd say, its coming full circle rather quickly.
Well, to be fair.....ALL cars are built much better standards now than they were in the 80’s and there are 3-times as many vehicle options to choose from than there were back then. It’s hard to compare the sales figures and impressions from now, to those of the past when you’ve got companies like Toyota, Nissan, Honda and even Hyundai (who back then were geared almost strictly to the econobox market) that are coming in and stealing up sales right under the nose of GM, Ford and Dodge because lets face it.....in most cases they now build a superior product!

And again, since the Fox Mustang and GM Camaro/Trans-Am were esentially your only choice for a sporty, economically priced RWD V8 powered car back then, it’s no surprise that it sold so well. The Mustang being a quality automobile with any sort of ground breaking performance features had nothing to do with it! Anyone with any sense will remember these cars for what they were and pay accordingly for them. You’ll notice the ones sitting in the Auto Trader whose owners are asking astronomical amounts for are still there when it comes renewal time for the ad. Like I said before, you’ll get the odd enthusiast that just has to have one so bad, he’ll pay almost anything for it, but amongst the average consumer, they’re still considered a car built in 19XX. The 60's era Mustangs were the originators and appealed to everyone. It was a time when only a hand full of cars were even on the road and other than the Corvette, you couldn't even own another "Sport oriented" car in America at the time.....so naturally everybody who was anybody had to own one. That was a loooong time ago and that era is way over. There dozens of different makes and manufacturers, with hundreds of different models being put out now to millions upon millions of people. No Mustang built now, or since then will ever have the same kind of impact, or be in the same league that the originals were, I don't care how cheap they are, how many are build or how well they're made.
Bash the Fox if you want (maybe you should get one, first), but its the reason you have a new Mustang, and soon the Challenger, and the new Camaro... just like in the old days. Give it 10 years. I'll make money, if I wasn't planning on being buried in it.
Tell me, why exactly is it when you don’t 100% agree with the general consensus of a hand full of members, that you’re automatically “bashing” their cars? You’re making assumptions here that have no basis in fact. Read my statement above. I owned, built and drove the piss out of a Fox body Mustang for 6-years. And I had 3 others throughout the 90’s besides that one. I’ve put in my dues and am as qualified as any current owner is to speak about them. And lets be clear.....true, the reason the Mustang is still being built today, is because the Fox body carried the brand through the 80’s and into the 90’s. But come one.....the reason you’ve got a Ford vehicle at all today was because Ford built a little econobox we all know and love as the “Tempo”. I don’t year you paying any tribute to it in your rant? ;)

Look, I chose a while back to move on based on my own personal need for greater refinement and newer edge appeal and now look at the particular model from a more "practical" perspective, much like the general public looks upon them. I came to the realization that the car was what it was and no matter how much money I sunk into it, or how much I told myself it was something more it was still going to be the same, tired old pony in dire need of a clean slate underneath. If I considered it special in any way, it’s only within the confines of my own heart and the many fond memories of my youth I had that I could relate to it while going through my formative years. Otherwise, I’m perfectly willing to accept that since the Fox body, the Ford Mustang has continued to get better and better with each new model. The latest S197 has proven that time and time again and anyone who feels otherwise from any perspective other than a pure “nostalgic” one isn’t living on a little planet I like to call earth!

I'm just messing with you man.

Yeah, I know, I just somehow felt the need to explain myself to a greater extent so others don’t think I’m coming in here “green” as some Cougar guy on a Mustang board picking apart their rides. I could go on for hours as to why Mercury Cougars should be avoided as well if that would make anyone feel any better? :D

And for the record....I spend equal time "whoring" myself out to all the Forums, not just the 5.0L ones. ;)