will my launches get better with suspension upgrades if its hooking decent now?

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
hi i went to the track this past friday and ran 13.32s etc etc
i made a topic on it the other day you may have seen it.

well i was getting 1.8s and 1.9s

my best e/t was 13.32@102 with a 1. 60' it was real cool and car was running good, if i had a good 1.8 there i would have gotten better for sure. if i would have gotten a 1.7 i think a high 12 sec pass would have came.

i had gotten a couple 1.8s earlier that night which brings me to my point

my launches felt strange, like it was spinning the tires, the ass end was moving side to side like it was spinning but my gf said i wasnt and the timeslips show i'm not, if i was spinning i doubt i would have gotten under a 2.0 60'

the launches are unpredictable, nothing to go by, i just rev it up high and dump it and just see what happens, the car will act a tad different everytime.

i am only running was quadshock at the moment ( bad deal, i had rounded off bolts and just cut one off, i needed it gone for tire clearence, the other was flipped, so i have a little quad shock nub on one side lol)

that may have an affect on the launches i am not sure.

anyways i ordered a lot of new suspension goodies for setting my car up for drag,
i bought some
granatelli upper and lower control arms
moroso trick drag springs, front and rear
lakewood 90/10 front struts and 50/50 rear shocks
and i have SFCs already
and i'm going to sort out my quadshock situation and buy a nice new set of replacement quads and run them backwards, they clear both my street and drag tires, so why not run them lol.

i have a feeling these mods will help clean up my launch and decrease 60's, i am just getting some opinions from you guys who have installed and felt the difference first hand.

also what sort of 60's do you think i will be capable of with this new setup? with practice of course lol

just chime in with any help you may have, share your expierences with your suspension mods and such

thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

OK so with my set-up when I am N/A I get 1.8 sixty foot times. When I launch on the juice they drop to 1.60. I almost think that it would take more power or steeper gears to get better launch's then the 1.8-1.7's N/A for me. I have seen a few 1.7's but mostly 1.8's. mind you I did have a nasty bog off the line. I don't know if you were experiencing driveline bog when you were getting 1.8 sixty foots. A dead hook isn't a good thing either. I think you need a little bit of spin so that you don't have the bog I get when launching N/A.

So with all that being said I would say that 1.7s could be attained but to get much better then that you will need steep gears or a bunch more power.

The only problem I can forsee with your setup is when you race. A loose rear suspension has the advantage of a lot of give. When you get the car to hook up really good and the suspension has no give the weakest link in your drivetrain can break. It will often be either the tranny or the drivehaft yolks.

I'm getting ready to start my B cam, Explorer head and intake buildup (the heads are at the machine shop now) and my suspension is similar to what you're building. After seeing that guy on Pinks break a driveshaft yolk on a 3500 RPM launch I'm a little worried.