will sct chip help?

Almost every review I have read was positive about these chips. Do you think I'd see any improvements with the upgrades I have. One reason being I have a maf off of a 93 cobra and 24lb injectors with the stock computer. I have read in a few places that the computer should be tuned for that. is that so? The car is going to stay the way it is as far as performance parts. Quite a few of the reviews also stated that It really helped smooth out their idling which I could use.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you sure you don't have a 1993 cobra EEC in the car?

Or are you sure that the MAF is definitely a 1993 cobra maf?

Yes, you do need some sort of tuning for those parts, but if you have all 3 cobra parts (maf, EEC 24s), that should take care of the 24# ers

I just had the heads, cam, injectors, and maf put in last week. The maf part number checks out to be from a cobra. The mechanic never mentioned that he was going to change the computer but to be honest I'm not totally sure. I'll take a look at it morning and check. After putting on the new parts I started to have a little idling problem for the first 20 or so seconds after starting the car. It seems to be getting better the more I drive it though.

It takes a little while for the computer to learn your new combo.

I just put a SCT 4 bank switch chip on my car and I'm still not too sure about it. My car ran great before the chip. It idled perfect and the whole 9 yards. Now when I use the chip the idle gets a little funky and it tends to hang up over 1,000 RPM when I let off of the gas. My SOTP dyno isn't registering any improvements in performance either. Sooner or later I'm going to hit the local dyno and get 3 fun runs for $60. I will find out then for sure.

I also question how they knew to tune my car for a B cam when I didn't tell them it had a B cam when they took the order. Their rep stated in a PM over at The Corral that for sure, my chip was tuned for a B cam.

I'd prefer to not have to go have it dyno tuned if I don't have to. And for sure don't want to mess around with it myself. The car will rarely, if ever, be taken to the track. Im going to check the EEC and see if its still the stock one shortly.

I just checked the computer and it is the A3M. So do you think I would stand to benefit from the SCT chip? Or would it be better to look for a cobra EEC. The chip would be easiest if it would be equal to or better than a cobra EEC.

i had the same problem when i put a 95 cobra intake on. i bought the SCT chip with a brenspeed tune and it fixed the idle issue, i dont think it runs very consistent tho which that could be a number of things in the tune:shrug:

Well, as it stands now, your car is not properly calibrated for the 24# injectors.

Easiest solution, sell the 1993 cobra MAF and get an aftermarket maf "calibrated" for 24's.

Or you could get a 1993 conra EEC

Or you get a tune.

Its F1SF-12B579-AA. I talked to the guy who put it all together and he said its calibrated for the 24lb injectors. And he also said I should have no need to get a tune or a chip. He has a local shop and builds and races mustangs. He said the problem with my idle is more than likely the wire to the IAC. When I unplug it there is no change in the idle. I'm going to check the wire harness connection and then trace the wire back to the computer and check for breaks. When I picked the car up he tried 3 different IAC and it was the same with all 3. Its was Fri afternoon and I didn't want to leave the car there all weekend. If I can't find it out easy enough he said to just bring it back and he will take care of it.

Did 93 cobras come with 19 or 24 lb injectors?

It doesn't matter which injector they came with although they came with 24s. The MAF is matched to a specific computer, not the injectors. It is only "telling" the computer how much air is entering the engine and it has nothing to do with the injectors.

"Calibrated" MAFs trick the computer into thinking that there is less air going into the engine then there actually is. That way the computer pulls fuel and allows the bigger injectors to provide the same amount of fuel as the smaller injectors.

Really, the only time you need bigger injectors is if you're adding cubic inches, increasing engine efficiency or turning more RPM.

If you're increasing power in a significant way then you are doing one or more of those things.

Its F1SF-12B579-AA. I talked to the guy who put it all together and he said its calibrated for the 24lb injectors. And he also said I should have no need to get a tune or a chip. He has a local shop and builds and races mustangs. He said the problem with my idle is more than likely the wire to the IAC. When I unplug it there is no change in the idle. I'm going to check the wire harness connection and then trace the wire back to the computer and check for breaks. When I picked the car up he tried 3 different IAC and it was the same with all 3. Its was Fri afternoon and I didn't want to leave the car there all weekend. If I can't find it out easy enough he said to just bring it back and he will take care of it.
My advice... Never go back to this shop.

1. He has given you bad 'ebay tech' information on the MAF. That is a 93 Cobra part number, and no matter what injectors you have it won't work properly with an A9*/A3M/etc. (unless he programmed a chip for you, but I doubt he has the skills for that after reading your posts)
2. He had to try 3 different IAC's to verify it wasn't the IAC? Is that really the extent of his diagnostic skills... Remove and Replace???? Throwing parts at it isn't going to fix the car in a cost effective manner.
3. If he suspected the wiring for the IAC, then why didn't he check it? Seriously would take about 10 minutes to do a resistance check on those wires? Instead he just asked you to come back to his shop later?

Did he say how he calibrated the setup for 24's?
Awesome question to ask the shop owner... as I'm sure all you would get back is a blank stare... or maybe a whole lot of mumbo-jumbo... "I've been doing this for years" kinda crap.

Im not doubting his knowledge of these motors. He wasn't throwing parts at it. I got there to pick up the car about 10 minutes before he was closing. He went to back the car out and the idle was acting funny. During his test drive 45 minutes earlier it did not which it does not do now either when its cold. So being that he has about 4 of his own mustangs he races and not even sure how many motors around he tried 3 other IAC's to check. He said at the time it may be the wire and I can check it monday. I'd said to him that i'll check it out and If I can't figure it out i'll bring it back. In the mean time I have been going over it and figured I'd ask a few questions here. Here is and article from ast year about some of the things they do. http://www.dragzine.com/news/new-look-more-power-for-marascos-radial-fox/

Well i'm going to spend some time on it tomorrow evening and I'll be sure to post the outcome. I'm not arguing the cause either way because most of my experience comes with carbed motors on older mustangs or nissans 350z and Titan which I have now. I'm open to all ideas either right or wrong. I'm sure I'll find the culprit of this shortly.