Will the GT500 engine fit in a 99-04?

• Sponsors (?)

From what I've read the 5.4 should drop right in. Wouldn't it be cheaper (and most likely quicker if you've got to have one now) to build your own vs buying one from the factory (not knowing what they'll retail for)? Pretending they'll go for half of what a Cammer goes for, that puts it in the ballpark of 7500.00 Now I know that for 7500.00, I can build a heckuvalot more horses than 450. Just my opinion.

Building a forged 5.4 with a twin screw blower would cost some money too.

Look at the 03 cobra's, swap on a KB and you have 600-700hp. How is the 5.4 going to react to a pulley change?

Twisted said:
Are the blocks on the 3V motors the same as the pre '05? Wonder if the GT500 engine will drop right in? Kind of like guys dropping an 03 cobra in a fox body. hmmmmm?
The SOHC 3v engine from the 05 GT's are aluminum blocks, so in theory should be lighter and due to the 3v per cylinder better for power.

However only time will tell how well they stand upto FI if that is the route you whish to take.

The GT500 according to the SVT website has a DOHC 5.4 with a cast iron block, as it is still part of the mod family it should fit in a SN95 but it might be a tight squeeze in the same manor that a 5.4 Lightening engine is.

Twisted said:
Building a forged 5.4 with a twin screw blower would cost some money too.

Look at the 03 cobra's, swap on a KB and you have 600-400hp. How is the 5.4 going to react to a pulley change?

Probably pretty gosh darn good. I bet you this thing will be close to 500 to the ground with tuning in stock trim.

The GT500 is also a 5.4 4V.
The whole idea in Modular is compatiabilty. The GT500 motor will bolt in place of any 4.6. It would be an extremely tight fit. I wonder if there was something done to the K member of the 05 to fit the 5.4 without a huge scoop. For what Ford will charge for that crate motor, you could probably build a twin turbo Navi motor.

lewbud said:
From what I've read the 5.4 should drop right in. Wouldn't it be cheaper (and most likely quicker if you've got to have one now) to build your own vs buying one from the factory (not knowing what they'll retail for)? Pretending they'll go for half of what a Cammer goes for, that puts it in the ballpark of 7500.00 Now I know that for 7500.00, I can build a heckuvalot more horses than 450. Just my opinion.

I'm gonna guess it would set you back a cool $14,000 or more for the engine. A cobra engine is $12,000