Windsor Heads on 302

Rat Race

Apr 3, 2005
New Jersey
I pulled the valve covers off my 68 verts' 302, and it says in big letters across the tops - WINDSOR Now I know what a windsor engine is but i thought they were only 351's, not 302's.

It also has a beautiful set dark cooper colored jewel like roller rocker arms, look top quality, maybe Harland Sharps?

Does this mean the engine has a roller cam as well?

Are the choice of these heads indicitive of a good engine build, or a lousy engine build?

And how can I tell what transmission it has? (auto)

And how can i tell what carb I have? Looks like a big holley, looks brand new.

• Sponsors (?)

-302s are Windsors.
-Roller rockers does not necessarily mean a roller cam. In your case, probably not.
-need more info on the heads to give an opinion on quality.
- you almost certainly have a C4 automatic.
- there are ~ 10,000 "big Holleys." Get the part number off the body.....

LMan said:
-302s are Windsors.

Actually 302s are not Windsors. 221, 260, 289 and 302's are a different blockand were all built in the Cleveland engine plant (I'm not calling them Clevelands though). They all fall under the Ford 90 degree smallblock family however. Windsors did not come out til 69 (351W) and the 351 was the only engine named windsor by Ford. The windsor block is taller and therefore wider than the others. the heads will interchange but the intakes will not because of the differences in width. So you may have windsor heads on a 302 as this is a popular upgrade.

welllllllll...let me clarify. They are the same inline-valve design as the 351W, as opposed to the canted-valve design of the Cleveland.

I dont think there are *any* factory heads that say "windsor" on them. I agree with ashford, prolly an aftermarket head.

Well I know their cast iron heads, and I know its a 302. Theyre painted Ford blue but I know that dosent mean anything.

So your saying their aftermarket heads cause they say windsor on them?

Are these good heads?

stock 351 heads have windsor cast into them indicating that they were cast at the windsor foundary. 351 heads have bigger valves than stock 302 heads. this made them a very popular upgrade for 289 and 302 builders back in the day before big valve aluminum heads were cheap and plentiful. they can be a great upgrade over stock heads when they are properly prepared. pics would help here

I think the heads are aftermarket Dart windsor castings. Do they have freezeplugs on the outside of the heads,on the ends of them? If not they probably are Dart heads. If they do have the plugs they probably are factory castings.