windsor vs romeo

fast97gt

Jan 2, 2007
north carolina
do i need to find a windsor block to put my windsor p.i. heads on, or can i use them on a romeo block. i have a windsor thats complete, and i bought a freshened romeo short block, i got it at a good price and its been setting now for about 3 months really had no intensions of using it, until i bought the p.i. windsor motor, (it has a spun rod bearing at only 36k on the clock). also is it true i need new head bolts or can i use the old ones

• Sponsors (?)

There are a couple small things you will need to put the PI heads on your Romeo NPI 4.6. You need the valve covers timing covers for sure. The camshaft bolts I think you can swap over from your motor, and def new head bolts, it isn't worth the extra trouble to not replace the bolts (I think they are one time use anyways). I would also replace your timing set with a brand new set. Cloyes and Trickflow have reputable kits for sale on the internet too.

If I were you, with this opportunity I would save up and replace the rotating assembly with new stuff, stock or forged depending on your budget, in the Windsor motor and put some cams in there and have it tuned. Then with the swap have it tuned and you basically have a brand new motor to put in your car..

Since you've got a complete Windsor engine sitting there to pirate parts from, you'll need nothing more to swap the Romeo heads to the Windsor block. The main difference between the two short blocks is the Windsors use of dowl pins between the main caps vs. the Romeo's use of Jack screws.

Since you've got a complete Windsor engine sitting there to pirate parts from, you'll need nothing more to swap the Romeo heads to the Windsor block. The main difference between the two short blocks is the Windsors use of dowl pins between the main caps vs. the Romeo's use of Jack screws.

well the romeo is just the short block (block,pistons,rods, and crank) that has all new bearings and rings, no heads. now the windsor is what ive got the heads on with the spun rod bearing (it is a complete engine from thottle body to oil pan, with good heads [ive pulled them off and had them checked]). the romeo is the npi assembly and the windsor is the p.i. engine. sorry i think i half a** asleep last night when i posted this.:D
so if i read your reply correctly the bolt patterns between the two blocks are the same (timing cover, head bolts, oil pan,etc.) except the difference in the way the main caps are put together?