Winter projects

Ozz

I think I have a problem here.
Founding Member
Jul 27, 2001
Canton, MI
It's been a while since I did some full-on winter projects, but I've got a lot planned this year.
Been wanting to do something w/this console for the longest time but never really gave it much thought. Since the dash is currently out I figured I may as well figure it out and take care of it, so here's what became of it:

console1.jpg

console2.jpg

And for those unfamiliar w/the car, it'll be going into this. Not sure yet if I'm going to paint the HVAC trim ring to match or not, I'll decide once it's back in the car.

int.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks. Right now I have the dash off so I can hide my main engine harness. Once that's all re-done I have a new brake booster & master cylinder to install before I strip the engine to the heads and do some powder coating & plating on some things, and clean up/paint a bunch of things that never really got or needed much attention. Once spring rolls around I'm going to have all the chips and dings I've gathered in the past 10 years (time flies) finally taken care of.

console2.jpg

AWESOMESAUCE!

You've just given me a couple of ideas too! I'm going with a burgundy/black mix and wasn't looking forward to doing just the VHT on center console. Too much USE in that area and I'm worried about durability. Maybe some sanding and a durable finish will do the trick though.

I also want to cut a usable cup holder somewhere into the console where it's not in the way and makes some sense.

Looks pretty good Ozz, but are you concerned with the gloss of the finish on the console clashing with the matte finish of everything else in the interior? Or, are you repainting the rest?

Not concerned, I think it'll look fine. I might end up deciding to paint the glovebox and the cover beneath the steering wheel, but that would be it.

Thanks. It's funny, my ash tray door was still functional after all this time and then I broke one of the pegs while removing the console.

I'm almost done putting the main engine harness behind the dash now. The way I did it I had to lengthen a few harnesses, and I have one left (plus the TFI harness eventually).

Once that's done I can worry about the new brake booster and master cylinder. Going with this one and a matching booster w/the same specs as the SN95.

tuffstuff-tfs2025nc.jpg

Almost done hiding the main harness behind the dash. I've only been chipping away at it 30-60 minutes at a time and not on a daily basis. Keep running into mini projects that steal my time, the last of which was routing my self-test connectors to reside under the dash so I can (if/when necessary) run codes without getting in and out of the car. The latest mini project was to lengthen some 8-pin brown/orange plug about 3 feet. Not sure how others have done this but there was no way this was reaching back into the fender for me, so since I'd been on a roll soldering wire extensions already I just chose the obvious solution. I just have to attach that harness back to the main harness, tack the whole thing up and out of the way, and the dash will be ready to go back together and I can put my new console in as well.

I'm still waiting to install the new brake booster until the new master cylinder arrives (Summit had it on back order) sometime within the next month. Before that happens I've got to touch up some paint around the strut tower. I did test fit it though and it's ready to slip right in. As a side note I can see next year's winter project being a redo of my engine bay paint. That's what happens sometimes when you have parts in and out and in and out and in and out for various reasons over the years. That's OK though, it'll allow me the opportunity to do a couple things differently than I originally did 7 years ago, plus my future father-in-law who owns a body & paint shop will lead the project so it'll turn out immensely better than when I shot it myself. It'll be one of those pain-in-the-ass-but-worthwhile ventures.

Once the paint and brakes are back to normal and I have no electrical issues to worry about, I'll be tearing the engine apart to powder coat, paint, and/or plate a few things.

There's not much to post pictures of so this is kind of a lame update thread, but once things start going back together I'll post some :) I expect to be taking a bunch of pictures when I start powder doing the engine parts and stuff.

Ozz, isn't your car nice enough???? LOL. Can't wait to see the finished project once again.

As for me...no winter projects. I just remodeled my kitchen, basement, and repainted my bathroom. I have been busy since the end of July. I'm doing nothing but working out, and relaxing all winter.

Ozz, isn't your car nice enough???? LOL. Can't wait to see the finished project once again.

As for me...no winter projects. I just remodeled my kitchen, basement, and repainted my bathroom. I have been busy since the end of July. I'm doing nothing but working out, and relaxing all winter.

That was me for the past 2 years. All I think I did was put on a new top and do some powder coating. Since I do my own coating, it's just a matter of taking the parts off and putting them back on. I have the powders on hand already so virtually no costs there.

The rest of my time and efforts had gone into our new house. We also just did a kitchen remodel this spring and now the car needs some attention again :nice:

Wiring is finally done. Took longer than expected due to insanity at work and no desire to mess w/the car with big headaches, but time is plentiful at this point so it's no matter.

It starts and runs fine, idles great, and everything seems normal. I haven't hooked the gauge cluster up to confirm the gauges all work but I'm sure they do. I'll throw it back on this week and check them out, then put the dash back in place.

Other than that I'm at a standstill as I'm waiting to bring it over for paint. I'm waiting for my girlfriend's dad to get an open bay at his shop so he can take it in. Once that's done I'll be able to install the brake booster (no sense putting it in now just to take it out again later) and HOPEFULLY by that time my new master cylinder will be here so I can put that in, too. The booster has already been fitted and looks great. When the car is in for paint he's also going to redo the front bumper, touch up some knicks in the engine bay, and touch up 10 years worth of little blemishes on the body.

While waiting for that to happen there are a few little things I'll be taking off to paint or powder coat. Once it's back I'll be powder coating my lower intake in this candy red color. I'm sick of the polished finish and being unable to reach it for upkeep. It just ages and gets dull over time and I could go for a little splash of color. I'll also be painting my PS reservoir to match it. I did have a chrome PS reservoir but it's developed a crack and in my experience that type of finish is just a pain in the ass, so I'm giving up on it. I've had a couple different instances and for one reason or another they always get blemished and I've had it with spending that kind of money on it. Anyway, here's the color:

p111_img_016.JPG

I also got a "smoothie" style chrome water pump to replace the stock-style one I have on there. The chrome had come to flake off of those stupid ribs, so the smooth style should help that not happen again. I know most people don't care much about that kind of stuff but it matters to me :) Here's a pic:

1594NA_zm_1.jpg

Lastly I picked up some braided black nylon sleeving for my TFI harness to give it a nice, tidy look. I got plenty extra so I'll do some other hoses with it so it matches throughout the bay. I had braided stainless on there for a couple years but it always bothered me. I think this will look much better. Just another small yet effective thing to do!

That was me for the past 2 years. All I think I did was put on a new top and do some powder coating. Since I do my own coating, it's just a matter of taking the parts off and putting them back on. I have the powders on hand already so virtually no costs there.

The rest of my time and efforts had gone into our new house. We also just did a kitchen remodel this spring and now the car needs some attention again :nice:
Where do you get your powder?