Wiring an aftermarket tach

92 GT Florida

Nov 19, 2008
Florida
I have converted a 93 lx into a GT and am trying to wire a aftermarket tach. The problem is that when I hook it to my coil it is not registering. I do have a msd coil ignition but no MSD 6al box. Any clues?

• Sponsors (?)

Installing an aftermarket tach with a msd coil

Yes, I have every wire hooked up correctly but the negative side on my MSD blaster coil is hot (giving voltage thru it). I have a HEI distributor and MSD blaster coil. Will I need the HEI wiring harness as I have tried splicing every wire on my distributor and the negative side of my coil. I am lost can anyone help?

Thanks
Dave

Do you have an aftermarket box too? If so, you'd likely use the tach port.

I'd recommend that you remove your phone number from this public forum. Then I'd recommend calling MSD and ask them what they suggest.

Good luck.

I do not have a box. I only have a MSD blaster ignition coil. I have tried hooking it up to the coil and every wire on my MSD distributor and nothing. Does anyone think that it could be the tach that is messed up as they are sending me another. Please let me know how your is hooked up? This is a cheap JDM tach with shift light.

Tach Installation

Yes , I wrote the company and asked if there was something wrong with the tach or how to check it but they didn't answer. He did however write me back saying he was sending a new one and I will send the old back so he can tell. Does it sound like I did something wrong, or the tach is ****?

HEI dizzies have a dedicated tach wire, don't they? If it's a negative output and you're connected to it, and the tach is wired properly, you should be ok.

Do you have another car you can test the tach with?