Won’t start, need some ideas.

comporange04GT

Jun 19, 2005
I have a ’04 GT that all of a sudden has a hot start problem. If I drive the car for about 25 minutes, long enough to get nice and warm, turn it off to make a run into a store, it won’t start when I get back. It turns over fine but it won’t start, the service engine light doesn’t come on either. The first time it happened I had to leave it for about 9 hours to go to work and by the time I got back to it, it fired right up. Since then I have found that if it won’t start and I disconnect the battery to reset the computer it will start up like normal.

I put a Bassani X-Pipe with cats on it 6 days before this started and even though it didn’t make sense to me that it would be the cause I switched back to the factory cross over and it is still doing it. The only other mods to the car are a Bassani cat back, and a BBK CAI which have been on the car for the past 6 months with no problem.

Has anyone had this problem? I searched around the net with no success.

• Sponsors (?)

My brother's Benz ML 320 is having the same problem. I think I have narrowed the cause of the problem down to three things:

1. Key malfunction
2. Bad crankshaft position sensor
3. Bad fuel pump

The car turns over just fine, but will not start. If you left it sit until it cools off, if will start right up again...

Bill

Mine isn't the fuel pump since I get pressure. I also verified that it is not the crank sensor. I think that it is actualy the security system since I tiried my 2 other keys and they don't work either.

ADRENLN said:
dealer wont figure it out, mine has done since new, and they have no idea.
YOU KIDDING???!!!! I say take that **** back to the dealership and get it fixed. They cant figure it out?? wtf, tell them youre calling FORD and tell them that they cant figure out your problem on your 2004 mustang. I'd be so pissed and I would never take that as an answer!!

SonicBlueBabe said:
YOU KIDDING???!!!! I say take that **** back to the dealership and get it fixed. They cant figure it out?? wtf, tell them youre calling FORD and tell them that they cant figure out your problem on your 2004 mustang. I'd be so pissed and I would never take that as an answer!!

:stupid: word.

SonicBlueBabe said:

:hail2: those guys better fix your problem or we will sick the :crazy: sonicbluebabe on them and she will get :mad: ,loose here temper and :fuss: , :flame: , :uzi: , and :chair: them until she is BLUE in the face. then they will fix it in fear :rolleyes: :rlaugh:

i didnt except it right away, just when they tried numerous times and still came up short. i just got tired of them messin with my car, and i wanted to put all my mods back on.

i figured id find the problem along the way while i was modding. not yet :shrug:

i actually used to have the hot start prob. but it changed to a cold start first thing in the morning.

same symptom just now the first time i start it. i dont have the hot start anymore ever. :shrug: somthing i modded changed it......

i dont know which problem i hate more though, at least i could avoid the hot start by letting it cool down a bit before starting it back up. the cold start is once a day no matter what.

i will find it in the future. i plan a built block/blower in the next couple years if the new block dont help then i dont know what will :D

I had a similar problem with my old infiniti. It turned out to be the battery believe it or not. The car would not fire the injectors if the battery voltage was below a certain point but it would crank as if it had plently of juice. Replaced the battery and no more problems. Not sure if Ford has this same feature. :shrug:

hotmustang331 said:
:hail2: those guys better fix your problem or we will sick the :crazy: sonicbluebabe on them and she will get :mad: ,loose here temper and :fuss: , :flame: , :uzi: , and :chair: them until she is BLUE in the face. then they will fix it in fear :rolleyes: :rlaugh:
LOL, i must have been a little angry when I posted that! lol, still, that **** pisses me off. i just know that i would never let that type of stuff go just cause they say they cant find the problem

The reason that I asked is that the local Ford service techs only seem to actually fix my car when I take it in and tell them exactly what is wrong with it. I finally tracked it down to the security system module yesterday, took it in this morning and they figured out the same thing so now I am without my car for another 2 days.

Has anyone had a problem with dealers being afraid to warranty service a car stating that "Ford only gives us one chance to fix it then we have to pay for it"? Once in a while I get a horrible scream from what I believe is the throw-out bearing when I push the clutch in. It goes away when I let it out. Of course it won't do it when I take it in and none of the 3 dealerships that I have taken it to want to even look at it if they can't get it to do it within the first 5 minutes of driving. Does Washington just have crappy dealerships or is this a corporate thing?