won't crank booooooo

93GTosu

May 5, 2005
Well guys, now my car won't start. The car's been in storage since November and has started fine 2-3 times between then and now and i just put a new 65mm TB on.

I turn the key, and my interior lights dims waaay low and I hear 1 click. No cranking at all. right away I try again and i get nothing. Interior lights won't even work so I get out and literally hit my battery cable ends down a little.

then the process starts over again with 1 click.

I took the battery to AZ and it tested fine, i was worried it had died over the winter. Anyways, my cables are pretty rough looking. Each of them has an ear (where the bolt slides through) that is "basically" detached from the rest of the cable.

is my best bet to replace the cables? Autozone doesnt stock em. Dealership said they're like 70 bucks and they've gotta order em. :(

These are similar symptoms to when my old alternator died (3g now) though, so i figured i'd post up and see what everyone else thinks. i tend to miss things.

• Sponsors (?)

Az might not carry an exact replacement, but they have plenty of battery cables. I just literally came in from replacing my positive cable on one of my 89's. I had almost the exact same situation as you, my difference is the cars have been sitting since june 06 :). Anyway, go to autozone and buy a top post positive battery cable. It will probably be black, but comes with a red protective boot for the battery terminal connection. I bought a 15 inch for the positive cable, but it is too long. You could get away with a 12 inch or maybe even smaller cable. It bolts to the starter solenoid. On my car my symptoms of the click and no more power are gone. GL. I also bought a negative cable but I havent replaced the stocker so I have no idea if I bought the right length or not. GL

my negative cable has a smaller wire running alongside it. whats up with that? :shrug: I didnt see any like that while i was glancing through the AZ cables

thanks Camman

If you look at the cables at AZ you will notice many of them have a small 14 gauge lead coming off of the battery terminal end. Just get one of those and run your own wire to wherever the stocker goes. The AZ cable even comes with a crimp connector on it, so you could probably just cut the small wire, strip it and crimp it. Should be pretty easy. Sorry I can't be of more help, as I have not replaced mine yet. I may do it tonite, and if so I will report to you where that wire goes.

That little wire is the computer ground at least from everything I read on here.

That is correct. It is also the ground for the battery to chassis and is the ground for everything but the starter. On a car, a ground is the return path for electricity to get back to the battery.

The clamp on with 2 bolts battery terminal ends are a know problem causer. Corrosion gets in the clamped joint and works its way up the wire under the insulation. Avoid them like the plague...

That is correct. It is also the ground for the battery to chassis and is the ground for everything but the starter. On a car, a ground is the return path for electricity to get back to the battery.

The clamp on with 2 bolts battery terminal ends are a know problem causer. Corrosion gets in the clamped joint and works its way up the wire under the insulation. Avoid them like the plague...

The AZ cables are molded cables so they are similiar in quality to the factory cables.

fixed it! oooooooooh how great it is to hear my car again!!!! :D

i've got a smile ear to ear!

it was the battery cables. Napa stocked 'em thank god. thanks everyone!