would Granatelli spark plugwires give you more HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

In one of the mustang magazines I get they were talking about the granatelli COP generating like 15+ hp from putting them on. They had a motor with the dyno sheets and everything, not sure if it was rwhp or fwhp but it had to deal with the fact that there was like 4-5 times the amount of material in the COP then stock which transferred it.

true but i aint paying 500 bucks for those things :nonono:

Pulleys are worth an honest 10-15 RWHP. They are one of the best bang for the buck mods on a 4.6.

As far as the Granatelli COP's, they do add a little more power under the curve, but I'm not so sure they would be considered a "bang-for-the-buck" mod unless you are making some serious HP. I think your money would be better spent elsewhere.

Pullies suck.

As for the COPs just clean the boots and put some silicone dielectric grease on the spring to plug connection.
Agreed, the only pulley change I think is worthwhile is the one on cars with blowers or those who have exhausted every other type of mod. Better exhaust flow helps fuel economy too...why not get exhaust? It makes power, economy AND noise differences. I dunno, there will always be someone who doesn't like pullies and someone who does...i'm one of those who think they're a waste of time/money unless you're starting to exhaust your "affordable mod" options.

Id rather spend money on gears, exhaust, intake, tune, cams...

If I remember correctly that article on the Grenatelli COP's was on a blown car that made 15hp. Definatly not gonna happen on a N/A car.

If you get pullies dont cheap out and get the SFI rated harmonic balancer ones so you dont toast the motor.

What some of you against pulleys fail to understand is that the stock pulleys (not pullies BTW) generate a static parasitic loss on the motor. It is not a percentage of loss that increases with power like drivetrain loss, so the gains from going to underdrive pulleys has absolutely nothing to do with how much power the motor is making at the crank. Static parasitic loss is static parasitic loss. When you lessen that set static parasitic loss with underdrive pulleys, you will gain a specific amount of HP regardless of how much power the motor is making.

So in reality, pulleys are actually a better mod on relatively stock motors.....in regards to seat of the pants realization.

What some of you against pulleys fail to understand is that the stock pulleys (not pullies BTW) generate a static parasitic loss on the motor. It is not a percentage of loss that increases with power like drivetrain loss, so the gains from going to underdrive pulleys has absolutely nothing to do with how much power the motor is making at the crank. Static parasitic loss is static parasitic loss. When you lessen that set static parasitic loss with underdrive pulleys, you will gain a specific amount of HP regardless of how much power the motor is making.

So in reality, pulleys are actually a better mod on relatively stock motors.....in regards to seat of the pants realization.
What you fail to understand is that we do in fact realize that. :rolleyes:

You are gonna have to try a lot harder if you want to school us mang :nice:

Pullies are a decent mod. I didn't notice much of a seat of the pants difference, but my mileage went up slightly on long trips with my steeda pullies I had before the blower. It also went down when I took the off, about 2 mpg on average. Most of the people that bash pullies have no "actual" experience with them. Like with any mod you have to follow the instructions or the install can be a problem, and they aren't a good idea if you plan on spinning the engine up past 6500 rpm.

What you fail to understand is that we do in fact realize that. :rolleyes:

You are gonna have to try a lot harder if you want to school us mang :nice:

Kilgore, I have read a bunch of your so called tech posts......I wouldn't be talking.

I agree with you jstreet......most if not all of the people that bag on pulleys have no actual experience and/or dyno time with them. I do. They have proven time after time on various dyno's that I have been around to make a decent power gain under the curve (the newbs get caught up with the peak numbers) and increase fuel mileage.

In one of the mustang magazines I get they were talking about the granatelli COP generating like 15+ hp from putting them on. They had a motor with the dyno sheets and everything, not sure if it was rwhp or fwhp but it had to deal with the fact that there was like 4-5 times the amount of material in the COP then stock which transferred it.

don't believe everything you read:

whatever the HP #'s advertised in magazines is bogus. here is the formula toget the correct #'s.
take the HP # they print, divide that HP # by 2 and subtract 5 from that HP # and you may get a closer HP # as to what the real # is.
magazines lie, they do this to help the vendor promote and sell the product and in turn helps sell more magazines.

Kilgore, I have read a bunch of your so called tech posts......I wouldn't be talking.

I agree with you jstreet......most if not all of the people that bag on pulleys have no actual experience and/or dyno time with them. I do. They have proven time after time on various dyno's that I have been around to make a decent power gain under the curve (the newbs get caught up with the peak numbers) and increase fuel mileage.
So I am stupid and everyone that does not agree with you is a noob? Nice tech :flag:

So I am stupid and everyone that does not agree with you is a noob? Nice tech :flag:

And your personal experience with pullies produced what results?

Ohh thats right, you have never done a pulley install. Thanks for contributing though...:nice:

It is important for people reading these tech forums to consider their sources before making a decision to purchase a product or not. I welcome people that have had good or bad experience with a product to post their results. Far too often people with no experience on a topic post "opinions" on a product without posting the source to which they based it on.

don't believe everything you read:

whatever the HP #'s advertised in magazines is bogus. here is the formula toget the correct #'s.
take the HP # they print, divide that HP # by 2 and subtract 5 from that HP # and you may get a closer HP # as to what the real # is.
magazines lie, they do this to help the vendor promote and sell the product and in turn helps sell more magazines.

I agree with this whole heartedly. I'm pretty sure one of those top Mustang mags (MMFF or one of them) is also the same magazine that said Granatelli is the place to look for high performance suspension parts. This was the same article that caused tomustang to have an aneyurism and buy an Audi :p

Regardless, I've always been intriqued by underdrive pullies, but never got around to installing a set myself. Also, I believe COramprat contacted Granatelli and finally got them to admit their ignition products are made in China. On your stock engine, Motorcraft coils are your best friend for both performance and reliability. If one coil goes out, get another Motorcraft. Stay on the straight and narrow regarding COPs and you shouldn't run into any ignition problems. :nice:

What results did your personal experience with a pulley install yield?

Just like the rest of your posts from what I can tell, you are typing your opinion (as jaded as it may be most of the time) and rarely your own personal experience. Yet, you find it necessary to call out people for not having a 100% technical post. Grow up.

Accel supposedly also makes a aftermarket COP for our 4.6 2V's, and I heard that MSD is supposed to have one coming out for the 2V's as well. Then there are the Screamin' Demon's. I have seen some good results with those on a few Eddy Current Superflow's.

Status
Not open for further replies.