WTF Is this metal bracket and wheel on my rear brakes?

RallyCobra

Apr 2, 2002
01 GT that may have cobra brakes on the rear, I'm not sure.

There is a huge metal bracket with a rubber wheel. I was going to remove them, but I was afraid the bolts would be too long. Is it okay to throw this bracket away, or do I need shorter bolts?

img0012tum.jpg

(Sorry about the size, but I just got a new 15MP camera!)

So many surprises when I play with this car... The previous surprise was stock banjo bolts on stainless steel brake lines on the front calipers. They don't work, since they are too long and hit the back of the piston. This prevents you from putting new pads on, and stops the flow of brake fluid. I'll make a new post in the future when I have better pics. Maximum Motorsports is quite specific to not use the stock bolts. Bondurant used them for years... Must have been fun to break the pads in!

• Sponsors (?)

Looks like the anti-moan bracket. I wouldn't "throw them away" but I believe you can leave them off as long as the bolts go in without bottoming etc. You might need spacers/washers if the bolts bottom without the bracket in place.

Wait for some other replies before acting, just in case :)

Looks like the anti-moan bracket. I wouldn't "throw them away" but I believe you can leave them off as long as the bolts go in without bottoming etc. You might need spacers/washers if the bolts bottom without the bracket in place.

Wait for some other replies before acting, just in case :)

I agree, looks like it dampens vibrations, I was surprised how much our rotors actually vibrate. Mine are glazed so every time I take off or hit a bump they squeak, even though they are flush mounted. I would leave them on.
Knock the rust off and put some anti-sieze on the bolts, just in case they are just a gigantic paper wieght.

Thanks! Canon T1i. I've never had a DSLR before, always been a point and shoot guy. I figure it will give me something to play with between run groups at my next HPDE.

Those are my old pads, and they actually held up to a driving event. New pads are Carbotech XP12 on the front, and XP10 on the back.

That's a cobra/mach/bullitt rotor, the GT's are solid/non vented rotors. I didn't have any bracket like that on on my old 98 cobra and when I converted my 98 GT to 03 mach brakes, it didn't have that bracket either. I wouldn't worry about those, but you're right to be cautious about the bolt depth.