WTF made my engine "blow up"???

Na5.0HO

May 29, 2003
Michigan
OK, need help bad...

What can cause an insane ticking / chattering, loss of power, extremely lean condition on the exhaust valves, oil in coolant, and extremely bad smell???

Already checked the entire valvetrain... and the engine is stripped down to the block with all the pistons looking ok from up top???

Anyone??

Think I might have bent a connecting rod or something of the sort???

Thanx,
Jason

• Sponsors (?)

sounds like a connecting rod, did u over rev some time or something? i saw a video of a 99 cobra with like 600hp street racing a vette he smoked him but anyways he overreved it so bad i could here it u start questioning when is this dude gonna shift, and by the end u hear the engine dieing and that sound u decribed, a horrible ticking and clashing sound, and when they stoped oil was everywhere and they found half of the connecting rod on the street, might be bent like u said they had to tow his car away, but that sounds like what it is

Thanx for the feedback. I'm gonna try to pull the engine this weekend to find out even though I don't have a cherry picker... should be fun. Can't remember any major over revs, but friends do occasionally drive it.. If it is a bent rod, can I replace the rod or will I need the cylinder redone etc.?? I am wondering cause I would prob get it done to a 331...??

Kinda sounds like the oil pump died, that would cause ticking from the lifters.....

The exhuast valves are always white, if thats what your reffering to. Oil in the coolant would be from a blown head gasket, or lower intake gasket.

How dows the oil pump driveshaft look? Did you hear any screaching while it was running? Did you see the oil pressure at all?

try what blackfox says, i dont want u to pull apart ur engine if im not completly sure, how could a connecting rod get bent? too much heat and it just melts or something???

let me see if i can find that video so u can see if thats the same sound, ill host it on here

Thanks guys... didn't know about the exhaust valves always being white so, that's a relief. Head and intake gaskets / seals were fine... and the coolant/ oil mixture was only coming from the radiator??? Looked OK under the intake. Haven't had time to check out the oil pump, but the sound was definately coming from the driver side of the engine... sounded like it was coming from the driver side valvetrain until it just got ungodly! Anyone know would could be causing that horrible, horrible smell which gets worse the deeper I get??

mob said:
sounds like a connecting rod, did u over rev some time or something? i saw a video of a 99 cobra with like 600hp street racing a vette he smoked him but anyways he overreved it so bad i could here it u start questioning when is this dude gonna shift, and by the end u hear the engine dieing and that sound u decribed, a horrible ticking and clashing sound, and when they stoped oil was everywhere and they found half of the connecting rod on the street, might be bent like u said they had to tow his car away, but that sounds like what it is

Sorry man, but whenever i read your replies i think :bang: WTF? You shouldn't post this crap if you don't know what your talking about.

With the insane ticking/chattering noises, sounds like oil isn't getting to the top of the motor very well, or at all. I would toss up another vote for the blown oil pump. Thats a start anyways.

Mavrick said:
Sorry man, but whenever i read your replies i think :bang: WTF? You shouldn't post this crap if you don't know what your talking about.

With the insane ticking/chattering noises, sounds like oil isn't getting to the top of the motor very well, or at all. I would toss up another vote for the blown oil pump. Thats a start anyways.

:stupid: dont give advice if you dont know wtf your talking about

BENT CONNECTING ROD? LMFAO :lol:

well im sry, i didnt want to sound all cocky like i knew what i was talking about i was just trying to give my opinion, i just wont answer next time sry

Na5.0HO said:
Thanx Maverick... I'm gonna pull the oil pump tomorrow and check it out. Still unsure about that smell though... it's quite disturbing.

you need to pull the engine toget to the pump just thought you should know if you dont...dont drive it either

You don't have to pull the motor to do an oil pump, atleast if you don't want to do it the easy way. There's a tougher way, but it keeps the motor in the car. Disconnect the motor mounts, jack the motor up by the bellhousing, and drop the pan. It will stay up there, because the sway bar and K member keep it there, but it's doable. I've done it. When my oil pump died, it actually over pumped the oil, because the pressure relief spring inside it died. It was blowing oil filters off the block, and caused the car to overheat bigtime. I nearly lost my H/C/I'd motor to it (it died the day after the motor got finished.). Definitely take a peak at the pump. The nasty smell is probably burned oil, because what little that was in the motor when the pump died was burned to ****a before it got back to the pan.

Again, thanx guys... I've done an oil pump before on a buddies car w/o pulling the motor. However, I'm prob gonna want to check the rods and crank either way so.... I might have to find a way to engineer pulling the bare block out using brute force.
79'293stang... you said a "spun rod", how would I know... what would it look like??

Blackfox... how would I know if it was a bearing... would they be loose in the block??

Thanx guys... I don't get into this part of the engine much...

The smell your talking about is a burnt motor. Due to rod/crank bearings or an overheat, oil in the radiator, is still a blown head gasket. Any way you look at it, you need to take it to a machine shop and have everything checked out and redone.

you could also have a cracked block if you got oil in the coolant. i think you may have a spun rod bearing. i had one on a v6 mustang and it souded horrible, like a sherman tank rolling down the road. anyways i also have a 5.0 sitting in the garrage and i am pretty sure it has a bad rod bearing because when you hand turn the crank, it has about 1/4 inch of play in both directions and it alsomake a clanking noise when you get to the end of the play and then yo ucan feel and hear the pistons moving. try to turn the crank bye hand in both directions with the belt off and see what you get.

Mavrick said:

Not to be OT, but i thought i was the only one who noticed that, his post count went from 5 - 230 sumthing in less then a month....its from posts like this. sorry

..and back OT, it could be a multiple number of things, Ive blown 3 engines, one was a spun rod bearing from over revving, and the two others were blown pistons from detonation. Im interested to see what your problem is since most of the causes have already been mentioned. Good luck