WTF?? No Heat!!!Temp Gage Hot!!!

88GTMustang

Oct 31, 2003
LA california
I was driving my stang and everything was fine, nice and warm inside then parked and went inside. then a couple hours later I go for a half hour drive and My friggin tempeture gage went all the way up to the red and the whole time my car was blowing cold air out the vents.What the hell was wrong with it?? Then about 1 hour later i left again and the car warms up in like 5 mins inside, and the temp gage back at normal. Could my thermostat be screwed?? i also checked the coolant and the resevior was almost full and i dont think its suppose to be is it??Is something clogged or what should i look for?

• Sponsors (?)

normally when that happens your just low on coolant??? did you check the radiator itself. if a thermostat is screwed you'll still get hot air it only controls water flow to the rad. if it overheated and the coolant level is fine, water is not flowing. maybee ice but you said only for half an hour, if the antifreeze is too pure it will gel up and flow really slow. how long did you let it warm up? maybe the wire for the sender grounded out or the sensor went screwey.

this cold weather is bad on things. i shoulda changed my summer oil out of my pickup earlier(20w50) it spun a bearing the other morning when i started it.

In the winter your symptoms usually mean 1 of 3 things.

1: Frozen radiator
2: T-stat
3: Water pump

I would check them in that order.

I think most likely you had a small freeze blockage in the hoses or radiator. When the car sat it allowed the very hot water from the engine to unthaw it. Get a tester and check the condition of your antifreeze.

ashford said:
normally when that happens your just low on coolant??? did you check the radiator itself. if a thermostat is screwed you'll still get hot air it only controls water flow to the rad. if it overheated and the coolant level is fine, water is not flowing. maybee ice but you said only for half an hour, if the antifreeze is too pure it will gel up and flow really slow. how long did you let it warm up? maybe the wire for the sender grounded out or the sensor went screwey.

this cold weather is bad on things. i shoulda changed my summer oil out of my pickup earlier(20w50) it spun a bearing the other morning when i started it.
:bs: If the t-stat is malfuntioning it can cause loss of heat. It controls the flow of coolant for the entire cooling system. Therefore no flow in the radiator will also cause no flow in the heater core. Result, overheating and no heat. :nice:

PRO50SC said:
:bs: If the t-stat is malfuntioning it can cause loss of heat. It controls the flow of coolant for the entire cooling system. Therefore no flow in the radiator will also cause no flow in the heater core. Result, overheating and no heat. :nice:

the outlet next to the thermostat goes back into the intake side of the water pump also the heater hose out of the top of the intake takes water out of the intake and returns it into the water pump. water needs to flow through the engine wether the thermostat is open or not

you should check to see if you have the right coolant mixture for the weather. Test it to see if it can handle the sever cold. I had a car once that did the same thing. Engine was plenty warm but no heat form heater core. It was during a stretch of extreme cold. I think that there was some ice crystal in the radiatior. I drove it around for a while then let it sit for a while and it was ok. I drained some of the coolant than put in straight prestone to replace it. Car was fine after that.

ashford said:
the outlet next to the thermostat goes back into the intake side of the water pump also the heater hose out of the top of the intake takes water out of the intake and returns it into the water pump. water needs to flow through the engine wether the thermostat is open or not
:bang: Whether or not coolant is flowing thru that passage, if the t-stat isn't allowing coolant flow, there will be no heated coolant to flow thru the heater core. Because of the slowed flow of coolant the blower will cool of any luke warm coolant that may flow thru the core. :doh:

PRO50SC said:
:bang: Whether or not coolant is flowing thru that passage, if the t-stat isn't allowing coolant flow, there will be no heated coolant to flow thru the heater core. Because of the slowed flow of coolant the blower will cool of any luke warm coolant that may flow thru the core. :doh:

if the thermostat is closed it will flow even more faster through heater core