Xcalibrator change speedo for 96 GT

• Sponsors (?)

You don't always need a speedcal. A simple speedo gear change in the transmission will also work and it's much cheaper ($14.00 plastic gears vs $100+ speedcal). I've seen speedo gears for 3.55 to 4.10's.

Mel96GT said:
You don't always need a speedcal. A simple speedo gear change in the transmission will also work and it's much cheaper ($14.00 plastic gears vs $100+ speedcal). I've seen speedo gears for 3.55 to 4.10's.
Speedo gears are junk! They get chewed up and last a month or two...been there done that. Then i went with a Speedcal to fix it right.

DropTopPony said:
Speedo gears are junk! They get chewed up and last a month or two...been there done that. Then i went with a Speedcal to fix it right.
Second that. Mine was done inside of a year. My Speedcal has been in for 2 years now with zero problems.

DropTopPony said:

I agree that the white or black 23 tooth will get chewed up but they are the only ones that will get chewed up. Do not kid yourself, your speedcal still uses a speedo gear and does not have to be the stock one.

joshheat25 said:
My brother just got a 96 GT I was wondering if it will still correct his speedometer after he gets some gears. thanx

Is the car an auto or a manual? What gear ratio does he intend to go with?

I don't recall what speedo gears a manual uses, so I can't tell you when to use a speedcal.

If he has an auto and does not plan to go with anything steeper than 3.73's, the speedo gear( purple 21 tooth ) will work fine and will not get chewed up as mentioned above. If he intends to go with more than 3.73's, a Speed-cal is what he needs.

If he intends to experiment with the rear gears, a speed-cal is a wise investment.

TGJ said:
I agree that the white or black 23 tooth will get chewed up but they are the only ones that will get chewed up. Do not kid yourself, your speedcal still uses a speedo gear and does not have to be the stock one.

Is the car an auto or a manual? What gear ratio does he intend to go with?

I don't recall what speedo gears a manual uses, so I can't tell you when to use a speedcal.

If he has an auto and does not plan to go with anything steeper than 3.73's, the speedo gear( purple 21 tooth ) will work fine and will not get chewed up as mentioned above. If he intends to go with more than 3.73's, a Speed-cal is what he needs.

If he intends to experiment with the rear gears, a speed-cal is a wise investment.

Good points, all of them. However, I've had a white FRPP speedo gear for 3.55 gears for two years with no problems.