Roush 00' & 01' s281 Supercharger Problems?

namrog

Apr 24, 2007
Does anyone know about the alleged supercharger problems with the 00' & 01' Saleen s281's. I was told that there was some sort of problem near the intake side that caused the supercharger to blow up at around 15000 miles or so...give or take. It was something to due with the Fuel mixture and impeller or something. Sounds kind of strange...can't find anything on the net about this. Does anyone have any information? Please help. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

:shrug:

I have never heard of anything like that either.

The typical problems with series I and II are the actual seal between the blower and the manifold. Also, complaints about them not making a lot of power and topping out at around 19 psi of boost without being ported.

Have never heard of one blowing up. Even completely dry of oil have I ever seen one totally fail.

if you have a plastic supercharger elbow/plenum, check it for cracks online the center seam. Thats how I lost a motor :(

Can you tell me what the symptoms are of that?? My engine has been making a valve floating noise for a while, and it is not the valves. They had all been repalaced. The noise happens just off idle to about 2800rpm, and the noise somewhat goes away when it warms up. It can really be heard under light acceleration.. If the plastic plenum is cracked, what are the replacement options...

Thanks,
Dale

Your problem doesnt seem to be related, basically the car will go lean on any sort of actual load. My car threw the code, so i threw it on a dynojet, and it read overly rich and it ran fine. I ended up ignoring the code, when I actually went WOT at the track and hit 4th gear....it grenaded on the 3rd pass.

Some saleens had a metal elbow, if you can find one used then thats great, but the more readily available option is the series 4 intake kit which puts the new/better elbow on the series 1 and 2 cars

Some saleens had a metal elbow, if you can find one used then thats great, but the more readily available option is the series 4 intake kit which puts the new/better elbow on the series 1 and 2 cars

Where can one buy the series 4 intake kit with the new/better elbow, and I am assuming your talking about the plenum that goes into the rear of the SC.

Thanks a bunch,
Dale

Hmmm.... sounds awfully familiar

Can you tell me what the symptoms are of that?? My engine has been making a valve floating noise for a while, and it is not the valves. They had all been repalaced. The noise happens just off idle to about 2800rpm, and the noise somewhat goes away when it warms up. It can really be heard under light acceleration.. If the plastic plenum is cracked, what are the replacement options...

I had the same strange noise that you are experiencing and I too believed it was the supercharger, but in fact it was the tensioner bearings that had gone bad. Once I replaced the tensioner, the noise went away.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
I had the same strange noise that you are experiencing and I too believed it was the supercharger, but in fact it was the tensioner bearings that had gone bad. Once I replaced the tensioner, the noise went away.

Are you talking about the belt tensioner, or the timing chain tensioner??? This was an old post... Since then, I had my engine removed and sent back to the engine builder. He checked the timing chain tensioners and he said that one of them could be colapsed by hand, and that it was bad. I had him replace all of wear items in that area of the engine. I am going to be mad if all it is, is a bearing in the belt tensioner... :eek: Aren't you also on SP.com???

I know this was an old post, but I thought I would give my 2 cents worth. My problem eas thew belt tensioner, not the timing chain tensioner. I was surprised mself as it sounding like the blower itself had a spun bearing or something, but in the end, it was simply the belt tensioner.