02' WRX vs 03' GT

BLUE03GT

Jul 13, 2003
Sunnyvale, Ca.
WRX 5 speed manual: Up pipe, down pipe, blow off valve, catback

GT 5 speed manual: JLT intake, flows + 2 removed cats, 3.90's, short throw shifter (installing x-pipe soon)

he claims the car put down 167awhp stock and now does 225awhp modded

im thinking im probably going to need to install the x-pipe to beat him

thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

the older stock WRX's are not really fast at all. they have great traction obviously. but after the launch, they are nothing to brag about. with the mods he has, i don't think he'll win unless you smoke the tires. he should get a jump, but you should be able to reel him in.

Even the STIs run out of steam pretty quick after the launch. They might be low 13 cars but its with a 1.6 60ft and a 9Xmph trap speed. I raced an STI from a 45mph roll before the blower and it was a pretty even, he might have pulled a car or two on me. As for a regular WRX I wouldnt worry about it.

The AWD drive guarantees him a better than average launch. His power to weight ratio is better than yours if it is an STi. IMHO gearing is also in his favor. So unfortunately I do not think a GT can seriously take an STi. Also, the STi is in a whole different class in the twisties the GT cannot even touch them...

The AWD drive guarantees him a better than average launch. His power to weight ratio is better than yours if it is an STi. IMHO gearing is also in his favor. So unfortunately I do not think a GT can seriously take an STi. Also, the STi is in a whole different class in the twisties the GT cannot even touch them...

He never said it was an STi. If it is I agree with Kilgore.

Even if it is not those cars are pretty impressive. My coworker has an STi and it is damn impressive. I do not know much about the capabilities of the non-STi version...

WRX you should be able to take with your mods, but they do respond well... so it really depends on what those mods did for him.

My brother just got one and he said its a nasty launcher, but after that it slows down. They are quick but you should have him after the launch.

STi's are a differnt story though.

Seeing how the 02 WRX dyno's the least whp out of
all the rest of the years I think you will reel him in as
Gearbanger stated and win. :nice:
Don't tell your friend but, a aftermarket blow off valve is
the worst mod he could have ever did because it will not
only make him run super rich between shifts but,a aftermarket
blow off valve is NOT needed until well after 20+ psi. surpassing
the Mitsubishi TD04H turbo by far.Practice on your launch and
you should beat him.
The STI is like night and day compaired to the WRX. :rlaugh:

i myself raced a sti from about a 5 roll and this was when i just had a catback and the sti was bone stock and he didnt pull at all until he hit 3rd and then he jumped a car and that was it. I think against a wrx you should win even with him modded. It will get you off the start though but then im pretty sure you will real him in very quickly. like say either around the 330' marker or near the 1/8th mile you should be passed him.

awd and turbo is nice lol a ford f350 turbo diesel at my local 1/8th track was runnin 8.9s at 74mph lol he beat me off the line but i passed him pretty quickly
it was indeed close though even with his low trap cause i only beat him by a tenth

WRX 5 speed manual: Up pipe, down pipe, blow off valve, catback

GT 5 speed manual: JLT intake, flows + 2 removed cats, 3.90's, short throw shifter (installing x-pipe soon)

he claims the car put down 167awhp stock and now does 225awhp modded

im thinking im probably going to need to install the x-pipe to beat him

thoughts?

his claims are way off. wrx's dont take well to boltons unless its tuned for them. plus those cars are meant to recirculate the bov, so hes a ricer thats venting and running way rich during shifts, and a up-pipe and downpipe are the same thing, up-pipe is what the subaru guys call your standard downpipe (IE the pipe from the turbo to the catback).

My buddies 06 WRX with a full 20g turbo and support (fuel, tmic, boltons, etc) tuned by Gruppe-S, only put down 265whp on a loaded dyno (the shop guy tuning said a mustang dyno, but i dont recall if mustang dyno's come in awd form). the 20g is probably twice as good as the stock turbo. plus the motors dont take well to boost, theyre weak and the shop guy wouldnt push his car past 16psi. even their built shop car only runs 25psi and is built to hell and back, and only does 400 to the wheels.

and its not event that fast. He pulls away from me barely from a launch, and i can match him through the end of 3rd, getting into 4th he starts to gain. Its no contest with the cobra, i own him everywhere includung the launch (IRS owns on the street), and the cobra cost me less for the car, and the mods add up to 1/4 of what he spent on his turbo/fuel setup. and my tranny isnt on borrowed time in stock form like the wrx are, even the 06's with the "upgraded" gearset from subie are breaking, ive yet to hear of a t56 shattering on a cobra past 600whp mark.