12K for 67 coupe "show car"?????

The car would have to be in excellent shape for that money.

An appraisal that's between 10 and 14 is just a guess. That's way too big a spread--just do the percentages.

The guy needs to show you a MCA judging sheet if he's claiming that the car is that good and that valuable. Sounds to me like he's not really sure, and is just pulling out the fancy language to make it sound good.

The paint is how old? And what's underneath?

• Sponsors (?)

Snail, check for rust UNDER the carpet. Looking for rusted floors from underneath the car is not enough, they often rust from the insides out.

Bud4660, I gave my friend some grief about his 3-years-without-update website and he said he needs help from an ASP person. Do you know anyone who would want to help keep the s-code registry updated?

Edbert said:
Snail, check for rust UNDER the carpet. Looking for rusted floors from underneath the car is not enough, they often rust from the insides out.

Are the floor pans just a single layer of steel, hollow core, sandwiched, what?
Is there a better way to check floor pans from the inside than probing with a screwdriver or trying to pull some of the carpet back?

Snail50 said:
Are the floor pans just a single layer of steel, hollow core, sandwiched, what?
Is there a better way to check floor pans from the inside than probing with a screwdriver or trying to pull some of the carpet back?

Pulling the carpet back is real easy. Unscrew the sill plate and remove front kick panel. He should not be objective to this, as it is simple and quick. The pans are a single layer of steel. From your most recent description, sounds like the car is in good order but not excellent. If all inspections are good, I would say it is an under 10k car. Being that it is low optioned and not a GT or anything.
http://www.pmustangs.com/car models/car12/car12.htm

Here is one on a dealer lot in Houston for a little comparison for what its worth. This guy deals in 5.0's mostly but does other cars as well. And this car is a GT.

Without having gone through this 67 I'm interested in, I'd say it's a $9500 car. That is assuming it has a good underbody and everything is solid.
I imagine that the problem will be to get the guy to look past all the trophies he's won, past all the compliments he's received, and realize that he's asking way too much for a low-option 67, good shape or not.

Snail50 said:
Without having gone through this 67 I'm interested in, I'd say it's a $9500 car. That is assuming it has a good underbody and everything is solid.
I imagine that the problem will be to get the guy to look past all the trophies he's won, past all the compliments he's received, and realize that he's asking way too much for a low-option 67, good shape or not.

A large wad of 100 dollar bills is always pretty convincing. :D

Snail50 said:
I think you just summed up this whole thread. If the car is truly striaght (no collision damage) and solid (no "real" rust) then is it probably worth $5-6K in non-running shape. Make it run and put an interior thats not shredded into it. coat it with a cheap paintjob and you're getting close to that $9K number. If it were a loaded or GT coupe (or if those were 1st place MCA trophies) his $12K number is reasonable, but not for a plain-jane v8.

I know of a friend in Houston who is selling a "REAL" 67 GTA coupe with many options if you are interested send me a PM and I'll get the two of you in touch. I don't want to post any more on it for fear of violating the stangnet rules (which I am already dancing near).

Yeah, and their are other ways to make your point or delicately get around the issue if you just can't get the guy to see the light. Remember, if he is not motivated to sell, it's tough to get him to negotiate even with evidence in your hand. If he is not reasonable, suggest that the car be truly appraised, if it comes back as he says than you have no issues with the asking orice. If not, then there has tobe some negotiation if you are to purchase it. If he balks at having to pay an appraisal that might not be in his favor, then (and only then) can you decide how nice you want to be and offer him to split the appraisal cost if you don't buy, or something like that. Obviously if you can get him to pay it all then great, but you have options.

Also note, if you end up expanding your search to non local, their are ways of getting a free inspection done. You can apply for a classic car loan with several companies, and if you qualify for it, then they will send one of their inspectors to evaluate the car you are interested in to make sure it is worth the loan value aqgainst it. If it gets aclean bill, then you can simply tellthem you have changed your mind or are still looking and make a cash deal with the seller instead. Granted, not exactly fair to the loan company, but hey, that's the cost of doing business.

good suggestions. I do plan to pay cash, and that's always a powerful negotiating tool. I read the horror story about the guy who paid 18K for a 66 GT ragtop, the bank's rep "inspected" it, etc, and it was a complete mess anyway.

The only thing I would consider an outsiders opinion on a car in another state worth is whether it is worth me driving or flying to see it in person. I would never, ever buy a car sight unseen.

Well right, that's what I meant. It sucks to fly or drive across the country several times just for disappointment, but if someone else can at least weed thru potential candidates, then why not.

I have to say though, I would make exception for some of the people on this board. If I was seriously interested in a car that happened to be in an area of someone who's opinion I regarded, I wouldn't have as much trouble showing some faith to be my eyes and pass judgement.

Edbert said:
Is this the car that is in Austin? Did you get to se it like you had planned? Find any rust?

Seeing that it is a "driver" we should wait until the current week of rain passes and have the owner take it out on the road to meet me/us. Seeing him willing to drive is a significant distance speaks volumes of his opinion of its mechanical state. I'll take a look at it for you as I said I would (being somewhat of a self-proclaimed '67 expert). But off the top of my head and not seeing it I'd say that price is steep, most likely he means to negotiate.

Another concern is the mechanical state, worn seat covers and carpet is easy and cheap compared to drivetrain stuff.

I missed this reply; don't know if you were responding to me, but I wasn't looking at any Mustang in Austin. I've kind of forgotten where this thread began and what was said along the way, but the 67 coupe, alleged "show car" is here in Florida a few hours from me. Sorry if I misunderstood.