1965 mustang swap to a 351?

65mustang345

Sep 2, 2004
about two years ago I took out the original strait 6 automatic and droped in a 1992 5.0 with T5 It has been a great engine but I am looking to get a little more horsepower from my pony. I am rebuilding a 351windsor right now and am not sure if I should sell it or drop it in my car. will it work with my T5 tranny. How hard of a swap is it? Please any comments or suggestions are helpful. Email me at [email protected] Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The physical swap is pure bolt in... super easy.
I don't know about your current tranny though.
It will bolt right up and not know the difference between your 5.0 and the 351.
BUT: Your 2 engines may have a difference in balance, depending on years... 28oz vs 50 oz.
Also, even though the 351 will bolt up like a 302, the tranny may not be able to handle the torque of the larger engine... again, depending on exactly which tranny you have and the condition.
Other than the tranny, it is a very straight forward swap.
The 351w is exactly as a 289/302, just a little taller.
99% of the external accessories are a direct swap.
Some notable exceptions are:
Oil pan
Distributor
Intake

That's all I can think of now.
The exhaust will be tighter to the shock towers, so your need for different manifolds/headers is kinda hit and miss. Try what you got, then if need be, there are lots of swap options.
Good luck
Dave

There is a guy with a 66 FB that comes out the the track occassionally and run's 10 flat on a Stroked 351W.

The only comment that I can add is that his headers were tight and a couple of the tubes turn up instead of down. I asked if these were custom and his reply was this, there is a guy who works at Hooker who just happens to have a 65-66 with a 351W, so he designed himself a set of 1 3/4" headers. He said although they are not custom they are a special order, I never asked him how much but if they are ceramic coated super comp I would say some serious coin was involved. My super 1 5/8 ceramic coated super comps were almost 5 bills.

Good luck. I am curious as well as I want to go from my 302 based stroker up to a Dart 351 based 9.2" block and I am curious what I can re-use.

Hooker does market the 1.75" swap headers...
They run around 250 w/o coating.
You could order coating I am sure, but Hooker's coating is notorious for poor quality.
If I was going that route, I would order them and have them drop shipped to Jet-Hot and get them to coat them.
IMO coating is 'snake oil'.

Several companies make 1.5 and 1.625 swap headers...
I imagine the 1.75 Hookers are tight, but that is what I intend to use.
Dave

Oh...
Why would the brackets from a 302 not work on a 351?
I have swapped 351c/w, 390, and 289 brackets at will to mix and match my needs...
I also used my 302 brackets when I swapped in my Cleveland.
I know they are not perfect, but tweaking was minor and un-noticable when done.
the biggest thing is getting the belts lined up.
You can buy special adapters and such, but a little thought can overcome 1" deck height.
Dave