1966 Manual trans Pedal+spring question

DJCarbine

May 4, 2005
The clutch pedal on my 66 is not coming all the way back up... should it come back up till it hits the stop? It is only coming up enough for the clutch to grab completely, but it is still rubbing the TOB against the Presure plate fingers, which has caused me a TOB failure within 200 miles. I am replacing the TOB this weekend, what springs should I check to have the pedal come up completely?

I have seen the Pedal Rod retract spring, under the car mounting to the release fork, and inside the car has a huge clutch spring under the dash mounted right to the pedal. Which one should I replace to have the pedal spring up to full up?

• Sponsors (?)

Most likely neither

DJCarbine said:
The clutch pedal on my 66 is not coming all the way back up... should it come back up till it hits the stop? It is only coming up enough for the clutch to grab completely, but it is still rubbing the TOB against the Presure plate fingers, which has caused me a TOB failure within 200 miles. I am replacing the TOB this weekend, what springs should I check to have the pedal come up completely?

I have seen the Pedal Rod retract spring, under the car mounting to the release fork, and inside the car has a huge clutch spring under the dash mounted right to the pedal. Which one should I replace to have the pedal spring up to full up?

If it is a spring I would think the one going to the clutch fork to be the most likely candidate.

More than your springs being the issue, I'd look closely for worn out bushings (especially in the clutch lever shaft under the dash) and missalignment of the bell crank assembly.

I just installed the clutch lever bearing kit in mine. Even though the stock bushings were in great shape I can feel it is smoother now. I also replaced every bushing, and cleaned, painted & lubricated the whole thing. Then made sure the bell crank was properly aligned.
I got every piece through NPD.
It works so much better now, the clutch even feels lighter.

Best of luck.

i had problems with the underdash spring not letting the clutch pedal come up at all!

it's gone now, and clutch effort really isn't bad at all.

it is a major PITA to get in and out though...