1970 mustang coupe engine

torqued69

Aug 4, 2005
Sorry for crossforum posting no offense meant. I have the opportunity to purchase a 1970 mustang coupe. I still need to check out the frame but the engine and trans are gone.
It was a I6 but if I get it I would like to swap in a v8 probably 351. The car will cost me less then 1k.
How doable is this or am I just asking for a huge problem?
I am not hoping to finish it over a weekend; but I don't want to regret a purchase for something I will spend more money modding it to fit then just keep looking for another option.

I just lost out on the 69 stang and now my name is wrong ....the guy couldn't find the title after I won the ebay auction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ummm so why did he even try to sell it ?????

Thanks for your advice on this,
Steve

• Sponsors (?)

Well if '70s are like 69's and I think they are then it could either be good or bad. It all depends on 1 thing for this swap, it the car a 200 I6/4 lug or a 250 I6/5 lug?
If it has 5 lug and a 250 you're set, the swap is just in the motor and tranny area.

If it's a 200, this is the problem. I don’t think the front sway, springs and front brakes can handle a big v-8.

With either swap, you want to consider higher rate springs, condition of front rear suspension and brakes before you even think about the engine, this boarders on safety. Make it stop and handle before it goes fast; don’t ask me how I know.

With either swap, you’ll also need to get a different engine feed harness(it’s cheap, like 20-30 bucks) a different accelerator cable for the v-8 and other small tid-bits like frame mounts and engine mounts, other then that, you will be fine as long as the transmission is also for a v-8 and the tranny cross member for the tranny.

So there you are. Good luck.
I personally think a 351w would love sitting in that engine bay.

The VIN indicates a 250 I6
A mustang friend of mine will be going with me today to check it out and see if its worth it. I am trying to not get my hopes up! Haha

Thanks for your suggestion.
Steve