Drivetrain 1988 T5 Grinding going into 2nd gear, '92 Camaro transmission swap or parts?

Hello all,

I recently got my '88 Mustang GT running that I bought with a blown engine. When I went to test drive it after the new engine install I found out 2nd gear is very unhappy; it grinds most everytime I go to shift into 2nd and it doesn't feel like the shifter is pulling back as far as it should for 2nd. It shifts fine into all of the other gears. I am assuming the previous owner killed 2nd gear's synchro or bent a shifter fork; I'm leaning more towards a synchro.

My friend has a T5 out of a '92 Camaro RS 305 car that he said he would sell me cheap. I did a little research and it looks like the Camaro transmission will not bolt into the Mustang due to the transmission to bellhousing bolt pattern being different and the shifter is in a different postion because the tail housings are different. If this is the case does anyone know if the internals are the same and we can use the Camaro transmission to donate parts? If so, is the Camaro transmission "world class" like the Mustangs were?

• Sponsors (?)

Vast Majority of GM T5's were NON-WC.

The only vehicle GM installed the WC gearset in (2.95 ratio) was the 92-93 IROC Z. So that means the RS would have the NWC version. Way too many differences to use it for parts.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Dig around a bit more. Looks like I was wrong and the WC T5 came behind 88-92 V8 camaros.

IROCs were all auto, so I was way off.

You may have to physically inspect the trans and look at the front bearing race to ID what it really is.

My reputation is not only tainted, it's stained!
With a scattershield that GM T5 will fit the Mustang
I have a Lakewood bellhousing on my Boss 302 that has both patterns, and will fit a muncie or toploader, T-10 etc

Reactions: 1 user
Man I sure want to say that the IROC-Z’s came with two motor and trans options starting in ‘87. The 350 TPI was auto trans only but the 305 TPI could be had with a 5 speed. Only remember this as my room mate in college had an ‘87 IROC-Z with the 305 TPI and auto and wished he had gotten a 5 speed. We even looked at swapping it but he didn’t have the funds.