1999 cobra PLUG PROBLEM

1999redcobra

Jul 11, 2007
i just changed my plugs on my cobra and drivers side was all good, then on passanger side spark plugs 2,4,8 were coverd in oil. I took them out and replaced them all. So what is the problem?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

The oil is obviously coming from outside the cylinder since the electrodes look good. You apparently have a problem with leaking spark plug seals under the valve cover. The valve cover needs to be removed to access them. If someone had the valve cover off, they could have lost the seals.

I always thoght 1-4 were pass side and 5-8 on the drivers :shrug: Anyway I just replaced thoes on my passenger side and it took about two hours and alot of swearing. Here is what I did:
1. Removed strut tower brace
2. removed t-body
3. removed fuel lines
4. Removed the heater hose that goes over the end of the valve cover
5. Removed the sparkplug wires and plug cover (you just pull all the pass side coils
6. Remove the 10 bolts to pull the cover then just wiggle it free.

You will see the gaskets around the plugs or stuck to the valve cover (mine was half and half)
I had to get a valve cover gasket set from NAPA it was $70
You will need to replace the valve cover gasket anyway.
Hope this helps!

I did, no way to finagle the cover off without removing them. The tool was really cheap, $5 at Autozone. I dont know if yours is the same but the 96-98 4V valve covers gasket is glued to the head in two different spots, thats why you are gonna need a new set.