2 Questions. Redline? and Edelbrock intake manifold?

95-8banginstang

Nov 6, 2006
allright. i got a 95 mustang gt with a freshly rebuilt t5 and fenderwell intake. my first question is what should i be shiftin this thing at?!?! the redline on the dash says like 5900 but my friends got a fox body 5.0 and he says i should shift around 5400.... Now hes sellin his Edelbrock performer intake manifold for about 500 bucks canadian cuse he switched over to carb. but when i go look at the manifold on summitracing it says it makes power beetween idle-5500 rpm's. so if i should be shiftin it at 5900 rpm's am i gonna loose top end with this manifold? or am i suppose to be shifting it around 5400 anyways? or should i just scrap this manifold and buy one that makes power from like 1500-6000 rpm's? any help appreciated. thanks guys!!

• Sponsors (?)

That intake will do you just fine. Just because it claims to make power between idle and 5500rpm doesn't mean that the engine will just stop running at 5500rpm. It will, however, gradually lose efficiency as rpms increase, over 5500rpm.

You'll need an adapter elbow to use the Fox intake on a 94/5. Either that, or convert the throttle body over to the Fox style TB. (A popular conversion.)

Thanks, i just finished placing the order for and 70mm edelbrock intake elbow along with a edelbrock strut tower brace and a smog pump romval kit. so gimme a couple a weeks and ill have that manifold strapped on. Thanks again!

Are you running stock heads/cam/intake right now? If so your motor cant really be pulling at 5900 rpms. I think peak power is at 5200 rpms. YOur buddy shifting at 5400 was about right. I remember when I had my 95 vert, that thing would struggle to get above 5500rpms. Anyways...if you do indeed have a stock intake now..that performer will get you close to 15 rwhp on its own. With a modded motor it will make more. That's prolly the best intake for a stock/mild setup. I'd jump on it if I were you.

right now its got a bbk fenderwell intake on it thats bout it. if i go further ill be lookin for a mild cam and maybe some afr heads. but thats after a couple more basic boltons. but yah i kinda figured i should be shiftin around 5400. the stock cam's in the 302 produce lots a tourque down low but not near as much high end horse. one last question. since i got all this intake stuff now. should i complete it all by getin a bigger mass airflwo sensor and throttle body. or should i start workin with the exhaust?

right now its got a bbk fenderwell intake on it thats bout it. if i go further ill be lookin for a mild cam and maybe some afr heads. but thats after a couple more basic boltons. but yah i kinda figured i should be shiftin around 5400. the stock cam's in the 302 produce lots a tourque down low but not near as much high end horse. one last question. since i got all this intake stuff now. should i complete it all by getin a bigger mass airflwo sensor and throttle body. or should i start workin with the exhaust?

FOrget about the MAF leave your stock one in there. Go with a nice quality catback for the sound and some long tubes.

One thing that has been stressed over and over here in this forum :crazy:

Picking parts for your combo can be about two methods

1) What might work good for now
2) What might work good for your ... long term plan

You do have a long term plan ... don't you :D

A Plan can help keep you from buying parts that are good for now :)
but
Can become obsolete later down the road :(
thus
You end up buying two intakes, two sets of headers, etc :bang:

The bottom line is that long runner intakes are good for a mild combo :nice:

btw ... Just cause you can wind it up to or past 6K ........
Its not gonna make power up in the higher rpms
and
I can assure you ...
It will hurt your et's if you test that statement at the 1/4 mile track.

A shorter runner intake like the RPM/RPM II will give up a bit of low end
but
Excel at mid range and top end over the longer runner intake
thus
Extending your power band :banana:

Speaking about extending your power band :D

A cam does the same thing :eek:
so
See how all that can work together :Word:

That is ... If you got a ... Plan ... thats makes it all come together ;)

Grady

Well yes theres is somewhat of a plan. it comes down to i own the stang. and an eagle talon tsi witch is a headache and a half witch i dont want at all from the mustang. since i daily drive the mustang and i rearely drive the talon(when its running) i need the mustang to stay as reliable as it is right now. But i want as much performance outta it as possible. So im not gonna be seing any boost being stabbed on to the mustang any time soon haha. but its lookin like H/C/I laong with the bolt ons should be the way to go for me without sacrificing to much reliablity. am i right?

I'd dump that Eagle what ever :D
and
Get a reliable beater for a dd ;)

then

Get serious with some :nice:
Good Ole Fashioned ... American Muscle :banana:

Its so much more fun to build a combo without the dd constraints :Word:

Grady

i agree with it being better without dd constraints but unfortunetly... i love driving the car daily and everyone else loves the car also. itd be a shame to limit it just to weekend driving and strip use. so it looks like its gonna have to be a reliable dd. so back to my last question. will h/c/i keep it reliable?

well ill do as much of that as possible. but theres definetly nothing that beats the sound of a lumpy cam at idle haha. but the h/c/i will be the furthest i go i believe. if i did get a cam and heads, would i need to change anything in the bottom end at all?

well ill do as much of that as possible. but theres definetly nothing that beats the sound of a lumpy cam at idle haha. but the h/c/i will be the furthest i go i believe. if i did get a cam and heads, would i need to change anything in the bottom end at all?

My pan has never been off ;)

I'm just gonna let that stand :D

Knowing this crowd :rolleyes:
I'm sure someone will find something clever to say about that phrase :)

Grady

Sorry my mistake our cars make peak power stock at like 4200 rpms not 5200. You shouldent be revving to 5900...thers no power there. However what I said about the gains from the edelbrock performer are true. Also if your gonna do a mild h/c/i in the future...thats one of the best intakes you can get for that application.

As for you grady....I was working on a bed pan joke (you are kinda old n' all) but I can't think of a way to finish it.:p