2002 V6 to V8 swap

• Sponsors (?)

I've done it on mine.

There are quite a few good threads around the web about it. You might want to check 3.8mustang.com as well.

Here's a quick summary.

You'll need OFF a V8 mustang:
- engine
- transmission and mounts
- driveshaft
- CCRM and Computer
- engine-to-CCRM wiring
- CCRM and Engine to Computer wiring
- rear end
- gauge cluster
- v8 brake system
- exhaust (manifolds, h pipe and mufflers)

The swap itself is pretty straight foward, all the mounts and k member pieces of your V6 wil work with the V8. I'd recommend replacing as much of the stock stuff (bushings, mounts and such) while doing the swap, just because its easy to do so at that stage.

Once the swap is complete, you'll need to tow your car to a ford dealer so that they can reprogram the PATS system. Basically, your V6 key's and ignition must be programmed to work with the gauge cluster and computer of the v8. You might have a hard time finding a dealer to do this because I'm quite positive it's illegal, so if you have connections, it helps.

Good luck! The swap is A LOT easier than it sounds, so dont lose hope when people say sell your v6 and buy a v8. It's WAY cheaper to swap.

Don't take this as a guide, as I may be missing a few items, I did my swap over a year and half ago.

Oh yea, and if I recall right, we had to use the V8's throttle, brake and cruise control cables, as the v6 ones were different length.

The cable mounting location on the brake pedal on the v6 is slightly different as well, but it's adaptable (by drilling an extra hole).

Of course, if your car is auto, and you're swapping to a 5 spd, you'll need more things as well, but I cant recommend on those as I did a 5spd-5spd swap.

I've done it on mine.

There are quite a few good threads around the web about it. You might want to check 3.8mustang.com as well.

Here's a quick summary.

You'll need OFF a V8 mustang:
- engine
- transmission and mounts
- driveshaft
- CCRM and Computer
- engine-to-CCRM wiring
- CCRM and Engine to Computer wiring
- rear end
- gauge cluster
- v8 brake system
- exhaust (manifolds, h pipe and mufflers)

The swap itself is pretty straight foward, all the mounts and k member pieces of your V6 wil work with the V8. I'd recommend replacing as much of the stock stuff (bushings, mounts and such) while doing the swap, just because its easy to do so at that stage.

Once the swap is complete, you'll need to tow your car to a ford dealer so that they can reprogram the PATS system. Basically, your V6 key's and ignition must be programmed to work with the gauge cluster and computer of the v8. You might have a hard time finding a dealer to do this because I'm quite positive it's illegal, so if you have connections, it helps.

Good luck! The swap is A LOT easier than it sounds, so dont lose hope when people say sell your v6 and buy a v8. It's WAY cheaper to swap.

Don't take this as a guide, as I may be missing a few items, I did my swap over a year and half ago.

So does that mean your car isn't a TRUE GT?!:jaw:

You guys are being pretty harsh on him. Without knowing all the details it's hard for anyone to pass judgement on him. Yeah if he's making payments on the car and has no parts to start with them it's not the best idea. However if his car is paid for and he has a doner car or doner parts already then what's the harm in wanting to build up his own car? Just because it's more work that some people want to take on doesn't mean that someone else isn't willing to put the work in to build what they want.

The car in my garage right now is a 95 V6 car that I paid $600 for. But will it be any less impressive when it's running 12s or 11s with a NA 2V engine because it started out as a domestic ricer (not a shot at v6's but at the owner that modified it before I got it)?

Bill

Correct, my car is not a true GT, it's a swapped ex-V6.

And incorrect when you guys say it'll be cheaper to sell and buy a GT.
I ended up spending a total of $500 to upgrade from V6 to GT (with ALL gt parts).

And no, you DONT need the front GT suspension, the V6 one is identical. But I upgraded my stuff anyways.

Correct, my car is not a true GT, it's a swapped ex-V6.

And incorrect when you guys say it'll be cheaper to sell and buy a GT.
I ended up spending a total of $500 to upgrade from V6 to GT (with ALL gt parts).

And no, you DONT need the front GT suspension, the V6 one is identical. But I upgraded my stuff anyways.

Hmm. Thats funny because in another recent thread that was in the "4.6L Talk" section you had this to say:

"I guess things are more difficult down there for you guys, but up here (Canada) I've found an entire GT powertrain (motor, tranny and rear end) for 1k.

That's with 25000 kms."

So which was it? $500 or 1K? :shrug:

I spent a total of $1500 on all bits and pieces from a GT.

Then I sold my V6 engine for roughly $600 and my T5 transmission for another $200. Then the wiring and gauge cluster of the V6 went for another $150.

So yes, $500.