2nd request for help on Chip/tuners

el gato

May 5, 2004
West Texas
Posted this a couple of days ago w/no replies.
Hope not everyone is burned out this question(s).
Newbie hear. Enjoy the great tips. I was thinking of getting a Hypertech Power Programmer, but then I've also seen ya'll talk up the Diablo.
My question is what kind of improvement can I expect from one on my 5-spd.
Seems like I see alot of talk on mostly automatics in regards to shift points and what not. Would I be able to notice anything? What all would it change on a 5-spd? Never been to the track so I don't even know what I would run now. Any input greatly appreciated. Probably done doing mods at this point. Waiting on the 06 Cobra.

• Sponsors (?)

I went with Diablo since I planned on doing a fair amount to this car. It gives me the ability to change my a/f, speedo calibration, rev limiter, timing, ect... IMO it greatly improved the driveability of my car. It just seemed to really make it run a lot smoother. As far as hp goes, you can see a fair amount of change if your a/f is whacky and you havent advanced timing yet. I would recommend one simply because of how it improves drivability :nice: Not to mention you get the added features :D

The two best out there are the Diablo Predetor and the SCT Flasher. The Diablo has more features, but the SCT is more proven. Diablo customer service blows chunks. They are not ready to support this device and the attention that all those new customers will need. They have a back log of months just on their regular chips for custom programs.

I am not sure how you can change the A/F ratio witht he diablo in any measureable way. I am not sure if I would believe this. If it is getting info from the 02 sensor, thats a bunch of nothing. No better than a crappy A/F meter that you can buy for $40. If you want A/F data and the ability to change it, you need a device like an LM1 data logger that captures the information properly they way that a dyno tune does. I think Diablo is blowing a bunch of smoke up every body's tail pipes.

Expect about 15 hp to the rear wheels with either device. Both can take custom programs and be used later by a dyno tuner as long as they are a rep for the device that you use. They both can read and clear codes.

As you can see, I have a strong opinion on this subject as I have been to hell and back with Diablo. Ask this same question at www.modulardepot.com and see how they respond. Some of the fastest Mustangs are represented on that site including the fastest 2V Mustang anywhere. Want to talk to the pros, ask them.

Just my dime (two cents just ain't enough)

Phoenix00GT said:
Superchips Custom Tuning is the best by far...Diablo is probably the runner-up

those are 2 totally different products there.

the Hypertech and Diablo Predator are for stock or near stock cars only. they are not going to let you change a whole lot with it. it's a bunch of generic changes made to suit every and any Mustang with minor mods. IE: gears, exhaust, t/b. get a blower or cams or P&P heads and forget about these "tuners"

the Superchips Custom Tuning software and EFI software allow you to change anything in the ECU to whatever you want. no matter what mod you do, these tuners can compensate for it, as long as you have the knowledge.

maybe you are confusing the Superchips tuner with Superchips Custom tuning. they are 2 completely different things.

Go HoTO! said:
No... you are incorrect. SCT makes a flasher similar to the Diablo Pred. SCT Flasher and Super Chips Max Tuner are two different products.

SCT has MUCH more experience with these devices. This is a great tool for the novice and the pro. SCT also makes custom chips too.

the SCT flasher comes with a custom tune. not just some setting you can change. there is a big difference.

If you talking about the triffle little tweaks you can make with the diablo, they are insignificant. These exist on this Predetor, because they don't have enough data available to them to get the custom tunes correct.

If you want a proven tool with great support go SCT.

All summer long there will be threads from guys using the Diablo like this:

1 - "My car pings with the diablo"
2 - "I sent my Diablo back for a re-program weeks ago and have not seen it"
3 - "My Diablo dealer does not return my calls"
4 - "I was told that Diablo does not have a tune for my car"

Sure, there can be problems with any device. But SCT expertly supports their equipment and they have the experience to get things right.

ok let me clearify this alittle , as a SCT custom tuner here are the new options for the Custom Handhelds.
SCT Extreme Flash Tuner
Tune like the Pro’s with the SCT Extreme Flash Tuner.More Power, More Torque, Increased Gas Mileage,and our exclusive Built-In Computer Controlled Two Step Rev Limiter* are just the beginning!
Retains Stock PCM Program for easy restoration back to stock configuration Built-In Computer Controlled Two Step Rev Limiter. Fully adjustable from 2500-7000 rpm
Pre-Programmed with up to 3 Custom tunes specifically for your vehicle Easy installation. No tools necessary, simply connects to your vehicles OBD-II Diagnostic Port
Flashes PCM via the diagnostic port, no more cleaning or scraping PCM to install chip Increases Horsepower, Torque, Gas Mileage, & Throttle Response
Accepts Custom Tune files direct from SCT or from our large network of SCT Dealers nationwide

Extreme Flash Tuner User Adjustable Features:
Global Timing Table
Adjustment (+2 / -5)
Idle Table Adjust. (+300 rpm / -300 rpm) Extend or Remove
Rev Limiter
Wide Open Fuel Table
Adjustment (+20% / -5%) Adjust Auto Trans. Shift Points / Shift Firmness Extend or Remove
Top Speed Limiter
Gear Ratio Calibration
2:73 - 5:14 Ratios (99-04)

The SCT DYnoshop can control what we want to be change by the end user and also how much. and you also have the option to purchase a cable package that will allow your tuner to email you fixes and changes to your flasher and then you write them to the handheld and flash.

With my 2000 GT, I had a Diablo chip tuned to my mods.( mail order ). I had
the car dynoed with the chip, and without the chip, stock. I made less power with the Diablo chip. If you are going to get a chip, Have one that
can be custom tuned with a dyno and with a/f. I'm not that educated about
the hand held units. :shrug: