3.73 Gears - Should I and why??

screaminyellin6

Aug 29, 2005
I am looking at getting gears installed on my 05 V'6er and my local speed mechanic said that 3.73 with the SCT2 is a dramatic difference. What do you think? They're charging $379 for the Xcal2 with 3 generic tunes. Dyno tuning would be necessary for the gears , of course.

What will I be gaining and what will I be trading off (or loosing) by going with 3.73?? Also does the gears void my warranty?

BTW he said gears with P&L are about $425 (not including dyno)

Whats your opinion?? I am looking at getting some work done this weekend - if anything atleast the Xcal2.... Get rid of that throttle lag once and for all!!! lol

• Sponsors (?)

screaminyellin6 said:
I am looking at getting gears installed on my 05 V'6er and my local speed mechanic said that 3.73 with the SCT2 is a dramatic difference.
What will I be gaining and what will I be trading off (or loosing) by going with 3.73?? Whats your opinion??

I'm no expert but here are my personal considerations,

if you like low-end, off-the-line power then the 3.73 gears are a good option

if you are running up and down the hi-ways at 75/80MPH+ , or are concerned about really getting good gas mileage, then dont!

Also does the gears void my warranty?

I dont think so ~

Get rid of that throttle lag once and for all!!!

Always a good idea :nice:

screaminyellin6 said:
I am looking at getting gears installed on my 05 V'6er and my local speed mechanic said that 3.73 with the SCT2 is a dramatic difference. What do you think? They're charging $379 for the Xcal2 with 3 generic tunes. Dyno tuning would be necessary for the gears , of course.

What will I be gaining and what will I be trading off (or loosing) by going with 3.73?? Also does the gears void my warranty?

BTW he said gears with P&L are about $425 (not including dyno)

Whats your opinion?? I am looking at getting some work done this weekend - if anything atleast the Xcal2.... Get rid of that throttle lag once and for all!!! lol

Do you have an automatic or a stick?

You may just want to get a SCT X-Cal to and see if that is enough improvement for you...

You really don't need a dyno tune when you put the gears in... You just need to re-flash your computer for the new gears.... which is where the X-Cal2 comes in handy... You simply punch in the new rear gear ratio.. no dyno involved... LOL

If your going to switch gears (which helps you off the line... but like it's been mentioned your RPM will go up on the highway) the 3.73 should be good... While your in the rear end you should have them put in some type of limited slip differenetial.. Personally I've got the Ford Trac-Lock... and love it!

Warranty... It does not void your whole warranty... only what they can show was caused by the gears... So if you power steering pump goes out they can't say oh, your warranty is void because you changed gears...