3.73 vs. 3.55

gtstang86

May 8, 2006
California
right now i have stock gears with a 5spd and wanting the upgrade to either 3.73 or 3.55 set of gears. my car is a daily driving so im wondering what im gaining vs. the mileage im losing between the two.

• Sponsors (?)

DD here too... I did the 3.73 almost 40k miles ago. Haven't looked back yet. Some days wished I had 4.10's but never wished for 3.55's... Mileage did not change but smile factor is much higher... traffic is much nicer now too...

Do it...

But yes search will be your friend.... for me I tried always running one gear lower on the highway for a week to make sure I could tolerate th RPM... now I think nothing about it...

I myself have 4:10s. with street tires i do a mild 3-2 at a low 2000rpm and spin tires not even pushing it hard. I am going to change to 3.55's because i plan on supercharging down the road and want that traction. I'm also getting better and bigger tires, BUt anyways I suggest 3.55's. You wont regret it. MY friends fox had exhaust, and 3.73's and laid them down in 2nd.

about 100-200 different rpm thats all. I have and auto so only 4 gears not fifth gears LOL.

Bad mpg or gpm what ever you prefer depends on how much you floor it. LOL. and with gear you will floor it, believe me;)

i had 3.55s before i swapped over to 410s. the 3.55s were a excellent DD gear and nice step up from a factory 3.08. now the car is a weekend toy. the 4.10s are a blast in town but a bit much for long cruises or interstate. if it were a DD still, i prob would have went 3.73

Need to know your goals for down the road. I'm about to go to 3.55s from 3.73s. I've got enough horsepower now that I can't spray the 125 shot on my small drag radials without running out of gear in the 1/4. The 3.55s will also allow me to get an accurate speedo gear finally. I loved my 3.73s for a lower hp car.

Auto or Stick? Coupe or Hardtop? This is what you should be thinking about.

I agree with Pokageek... I ran 4.10s and had a blast but some people have a tough time controlling them. My mileage stayed about the same. Honestly I didn't pay too much attention to it except from a tuning point of view. By the time I was running 4.10s my mustang had been relegated to a weekend toy.

Adam

2:73's

i have 3.55's but my car had them when i got it..i have never driven a car with any other gears..ha ha..but i like em..

And you wouldn't want to know what that is like. Feels like your towing a SeaDoo lol. 2:73's should be :ban:

Oh and there is a huge difference when switching out from the :)nono: ) gears with both 3:55's and 3:73's just a tad more with 3:73's.

Go 3:73's!

I love my 3.73s, ever since the change from stock. I drive to my parents house 3 hours away, and get 23 mpg on the interstate heading there. With my 275s on the stock rear rims, with my regular bolt ons, all I get is second gear bark and bite when Im on the pedal. First gear is nothing but spin, youll have that either way...