3 inch exhaust??

fiveo'cobra

Oct 7, 2004
SC
I was just wondering if i would gain less hp by going with a 3 inch exhaust rather than with a 2.5 inch. I have a 94' cobra with all the standard cobra goodies along with some bolt ons. I am planning on spraying it in the near future so a 3 inch exhaust would create less back pressure. But my main question is; is 3 inches TOO big or if i did go with it, will i not gain as much hp or lose some torque, etc??

On the plus side i know a 3 inch exhaust sounds waayy meaner :)

Thanks in advance.........

• Sponsors (?)

I have been told that you only need 3'' exhaust if you are operating in the 600+ power range. Anything under that and you will lose power. Having said that, you should stay with 2.5 inch unless you are planning much more extensive mods to surpass 600 horses.

the way I always thought of it is that supercharged motors which pump a much higher volume of air will need a bigger exhaust to get all those gasses out without excessive backpressure. naturally aspirated motors depend more on velocity than volume so something smaller will speed up the gasses since there is less exhaust going out the tails.

so supercharged, 3 in.? = :nice:
N/A, nitrous, 3 in.? = :nono:
*unless HUGE amt's of nitrous.

A 2.5" off-road midpipe into a 2.5" wideopen (even chambered) would support more then enough flow for you even down the road. Build motor and/or a turbo kit then i'd consider a 3" midpipe back.