300 hp?

mstngman94

Aug 30, 2003
So, a stock 94 GT is 215 or 225hp, I can't remember, anyway how can I get to 300hp N/A. As always, cheaper is better, but keep in mind I may want a blower in the future so recommend parts accordingly. Parts and prices would be helpful. Thanks, I know I can leave it to you guys to give good info. I am such a newbie to working on cars but I really want to learn more.

• Sponsors (?)

stock hp is 215. As many will say, you should start with a solid foundation, a good set of heads, cam, and intake. I would recommend afr 165s or 185s, a good cam (don't know much about cams), and a good intake such as Trickflow or Holley Systemax. With that leading into full exhaust, i could see you near 300rwhp with a good tune/timing on it. I've been hearing nothing but the best about the Holley Systemax intakes. With a blower on top of that, and good tune, i see 450+rwhp in your future, and some mid-low 11's.

I'm sure i will get corrected about something, and helped out from other stangers with their contributions of their own .02, so i tried my best. :nice:

mstngman94 said:
So, a stock 94 GT is 215 or 225hp, I can't remember, anyway how can I get to 300hp N/A. As always, cheaper is better, but keep in mind I may want a blower in the future so recommend parts accordingly. Parts and prices would be helpful. Thanks, I know I can leave it to you guys to give good info. I am such a newbie to working on cars but I really want to learn more.

DUDE,
We are willing to help, but you cant put such a generic, gernalized global question like parts, prices, etc.

I will tell you right now it is IMPOSSIBLE to do all of that, 300hp (rwhp), N/A, AND CHEAP.

Although times are more important, you got guys on here just under 300HP that have spent a few g's to get what they have. H/C/I combos, are not cheap, and they need to be coupled with headers, and a good exhaust system, fuel upgrade(s) and tuning...That stuff is not cheap..Since you're a newbie (like a very recently was) you will be paying someone to do a lot of this work..That too is not cheap.

You have to target a specific issue or 2, then post the question(s) related to those 1 or 2 issues, then read the replies, then do some research to validate the info.

Good Luck
RC

All right, well i am not saying CHEAP, just cheaper as in not top dollar items, still want a street car. So with that said, what should i invest in first, heads, cam, or intake? what kind of results can i expect to see from any of these on their own, or do i need to upgrade together (are new heads worthless without upgraded intake or is cam too much for stock heads, etc.)?

You want 300hp at the crank, not the wheels correct? Mine making ~255hp with only a $40 Ebay CAI, $100 underdrive Pulleys, $120 H-pipe, $60 MSD Blaster Coil, & $0 13* timing.

From here when I put on longtube headers, and an intake I should be close to 300hp at the flywheel (~255whp). Most important is the combination of parts and a very good tune. A high dollar H/C/I setup can run like crap if its not tuned correctly.

mstngman94 said:
All right, well i am not saying CHEAP, just cheaper as in not top dollar items, still want a street car. So with that said, what should i invest in first, heads, cam, or intake? what kind of results can i expect to see from any of these on their own, or do i need to upgrade together (are new heads worthless without upgraded intake or is cam too much for stock heads, etc.)?
We dont even know your current mods, if you have any.

Gears First...it's not HP, but it moves you and feel great.
Exhaust...Opens you up a little, and makes the car sound nice.
Pulleys...cheap 10-15 RWHP.

Work on that first, then talk to us again.

RC

mstngman94 said:

Uhm, cheaper is better right. FYI: You got yourself in a very expensive hobby. First thing you want to do before any mods is seriously figure out how much of an addict you are to speed and accelaration. That would have seriously saved me a ton of money. I guess if I were to do things different first thing I would get myself is a 3.73 or 4.10 gear on a 5sp or a 4.10 to 4.30 on a auto. I recommend the 3.73 for stick and 4.10 for auto. The next thing is a blower. Then upgrade all the bolt ons and watch HP increase huge. If they say exhaust 10-25hp you will see the top end of those numbers everytime (since you got that blower). You may stop after all the bolt ons since you will see 400 flywheel hp if you picked the right parts. Then get ready to be rebuilding the bottom end after some nasty driving (milage) if your stock t5 don't blow(watch 3rd). Then I would buy a long block with some nice afr's (i run tfs but i had to port them to see the simillar flow numbers). Then you seriously have a nasty nasty car. There are things I skimmed over but gears and blower is what I would get then the bolt ons. That's just me I used to not think like that but the best part about the blower is keeps the car streetable and it becomes damn fast over night. Keep in mind that every bolt on you add with the blower will may a noticable difference. I'm all N/A and love it but trust me it cost more that way.

I guess you gotta ask yourself if you can handle a blower? It's the fast way of getting into trouble if you are an idiot and don't respect your car. Really first thing I would do is learn to respect my car in stock trim.

Good luck...

Like RC Said you have to tell us what you have done to the car first and then we can help you go from there. You have to be more specific b/c I doubt your going to buy all this stuff at once to reach 300 RWHP N/A so you have to have a starting point. Where do you want to start, Heads and Intake, or free up your exhuast or just minor bolt ons :shrug:

There is way to much stuff to list to get a stock Mustang ( assuming yours is but you havent told us yet) to reach 300 RWHP, start out small and work your way up. Its ive had my car for 5 yrs now and only been modding it for 3 so its a long process.

Piston said:
I guess you gotta ask yourself if you can handle a blower? It's the fast way of getting into trouble if you are an idiot and don't respect your car. Really first thing I would do is learn to respect my car in stock trim.

Good luck...

Thats true, you have to get used to how your car repsonds to mods and learn the cars new power levels each time you add a new mod. Throwing on a blower is a whole new experience, If I had the blower on my car a few yrs ago it would prob be stuffed into a tree. It comes w/ alot of responsiblity

3.73 gears, steeda tri-ax shifter, timing, pro-m 80mm maf, 24# injectors, cold air kit, underdrive pulleys, 70mm tb, performer 5.0 (or rpm) intake, mac longtubes, prochamber midpipe, mufflers, afr 165 heads, FTI custom cam, nice dyno tune + chip

if you are going to go with the performer rpm, get the typhoon intake... much cheaper, same thing, should put you around 290 or more rwhp

ok, so far I have a K&N air filter, underdrive pulleys and an new catback. The reason I say I want those numbers N?A is because I know nothing about blowers and whether a stock motor can handle one (can it?) and if so how much will that gain me?

By the way, thanks for all the great info so far. You guys took the general crap question that I asked and answered questions I didn't even know I would have.

you can always buy parts used to get a deal on them. My car makes real close to 300 RWHP, and has ported cobra heads (GT-40's). I got them and the cam used for a heck of a price and scouted ebay and swap meets for more deals. Just gotta know what you want, how much you want to spend and do your research. Just don't go out and buy the first thing some tells you to, although your normal bolt ons don't hurt.

Where I'm from, no one know anything about their cars, except "I've got aluminum heads and an ecam I must be making 500 horesepwer." I've beat most of them with my sub "500 hp combo" Everyone bought their cars they way they are. There is a ton of stuff on the net, get peoples opinions and proven dyno'd increases.

Buyt at the same time don't put for example an ecam in a stock motor just because everone runs one. Like I said, do some research if you are serious about and you will be happy with the results and price if you shop used.

Good luck
Steve

Black96VertGT said:
i have a 80mm maf, trick flow street heat upper/lower intake, bbk pulleys, ported stock heads, bbk equal length headers, and flowmaster catback.

all that stuff cost me about $2000 total, including labor.

do you think i'm making 300 hp yet?

NOT at the wheels.

Paul's just a tad under with AFR's and FTI cam..Now having said that, does it matter, if youre running under 12.5 in a convertible?

RC

mstngman94 said:

I guess 14 posts makes you a new guy around here so, welcome to you.

I've been watching this thread to see what everybody has to say to someone who is just starting to mod his stang.

You say you want to learn. You will learn more in a shorter time frame by using the search button as opposed to new thread button. That is not to say that people won't help and answer your q's cause this board has a lot of knowledgable folks who help and that is why I like to hang out here.

If you are going the full distance with a NA combo you will upgrade the various parts on the motor to obtain the benchmark goal of 300 rwhp as you have noted.

It does not take long to see that everybody has a different idea when it comes to making HP with mods to the motor.

I'm into the big gain for the money spent thing. Heads & cam are the big ones. The small things like tb, maf, ignition, etc don't give the gain like heads & cam. I guess it really does not matter where you start cause your gonna replace all the parts sooner or later to get to your goal.

Another thing to think about is tuning your combo. Another subject that everybody has their own ideas on how to get it done. If you go the self tune route it can get expensive even with a tuning device that is on the lower cost end of the spectrum like EEC Tuner or Tweecer. To support these type of tuning devices and have complete control of your tune you also need a laptop, wide band, and a few other misc things will be helpful. On the other hand many on this board have tuned their cars with nothing more that a afpr. One last thing about tuning. It is more that tuning for max power. As you install more and more mods your car will start to have a mind of it's own and you may need some help with drivability issues and this is the second part of tuning.

I did not see if you have a stick or an auto tranny but the absolute BIGGEST gain for the buck spent is gears.

The last thing is if you can decide on your final expectations for your combo you will be way ahead of the game cause you won't be spending time and money on gathering up the same parts twice. Example: if you have a stick tranny I would say go for 373's or 410's for gears. Howerver, if you know for sure that you are gonna go with a power adder later then 355's would be better.

Just a few of my thoughts based on me being in the hobby for longer than some of the people here are old. I know, that makes me an old fart :shrug:

Good luck to you and keep us posted with your results :nice:

Later
Grady