306cid camshaft?

im building a 306 with stock heads and intake port matched or possibly a cobra intake and i put a thread on here sayin that i was goin to use a e303 cam and was told to use a different cam so i found a crane cam with a Duration of 276/ 282, and a Lift of .513/ .529 is this better?

• Sponsors (?)

Black95GT_Kid said:
im building a 306 with stock heads and intake port matched or possibly a cobra intake and i put a thread on here sayin that i was goin to use a e303 cam and was told to use a different cam so i found a crane cam with a Duration of 276/ 282, and a Lift of .513/ .529 is this better?
Those are the advertised duration numbers. What are the duration numbers @ 0.050"?

Joe

That cam would work pretty well by the sound of it. What is the LSA?

It has decent ramp rates with 1.6 rockers, but if you wanted more performance, you could throw on 1.7 rockers. The only problem is that you are going to need a GOOD spring. Probably something with about 130-140 on the seat and 360 open. They are probably going to be kind of hard to find because I believe the spring pockets for the E7 heads aren't that wide....

Joe

better put a cobra on it or you are gonna slow down with a cam and stock intake/stock heads

I would just leave your stock cam in there and maybe retard it 4 degrees with the cobra intake

of course i ran a stock piston 302 with stock e7s and an e cam 1.7s and cobra and rpm intake. it worked well for me, but you will have much less headaches and the same results with a stock cam

95snoozer said:
better put a cobra on it or you are gonna slow down with a cam and stock intake/stock heads

I would just leave your stock cam in there and maybe retard it 4 degrees with the cobra intake

of course i ran a stock piston 302 with stock e7s and an e cam 1.7s and cobra and rpm intake. it worked well for me, but you will have much less headaches and the same results with a stock cam
This is true!

I was assuming that he had all the supporting junk too....may have been a bad assumption on my part.

Joe

Im a big believer in the stock cam. Im running afr 165's, 1.7 rr, ported cobra intake, and accufab 70mm, and a tune, all with the stock cam. great manners, no computer issues, and pushing close to 290 at the wheels. this is all on the stock 302 bottom end. just a thought. people dont give the stocker much credit, but it can save alot of headaches and is pretty darn good for a street driven car.

84convertablegt said:
Im a big believer in the stock cam. Im running afr 165's, 1.7 rr, ported cobra intake, and accufab 70mm, and a tune, all with the stock cam. great manners, no computer issues, and pushing close to 290 at the wheels. this is all on the stock 302 bottom end. just a thought. people dont give the stocker much credit, but it can save alot of headaches and is pretty darn good for a street driven car.
did you ever retard your cam?

wytstang said:
IIRC advancing the cam gives more top end power (or moves the power curve forward) while retarding it moves the power back for more lowend grunt. I could have this backwards so don't take it to heart, hopefully some one will correct or confirm this.

You do indeed have it backwards. That's why Snoozer suggested you retard the cam. Its a common and effective trick used by those limited to the stock cam in class racing.

Retarding the cam RETARDS when events occur, thus making them occur later then they "should," higher in the RPMs.

The reverse is true.

Camshafts are retarded for higher horsepower, advanced for low end.

Adam

Black95GT_Kid said:

Crane 2031 cam is what you listed. I have this cam. Very very drivable untuned. Caused really no issues with the computer.

Few facts: This was originally designed as a blower cam. It will hurt you compared to a custom or even some off the shelf cams with an N/A car. However add a power adder and the wide LSA brings the car to life (I saw nearly 200 RWHP and over 220 RWTQ on a 150 HP shot of nitrous with this cam). The exhaust valve closes earlier on this than an E cam, but the lope is very very similar to the E cam. It's really kinda in between the E and F cams.

This grind was designed for 1.7 RR's (was actually designed with the '93-'95 Cobra motor in mind). It will also typically require longer pushrods, somewhere between 6.300 and 6.310" pushrods.

As for springs Crane sells a cam/spring kit with this cam and specific springs for it. IIRC the closed pressure was like 117 or 120, open around 350. . I personally run FRPP springs on mine, shimmed to a higher spring pressure (don't remember specifics but it was kinda high). No issues with valve float.