31 spline VS 28 spline...

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
Ok, this may sound like a dumb question, but maybe not.

Couldnt you just get the side gears from a 31 spline and put them in your stock rear to make it a 31 spline (Plus axles and clutches of course)? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

It's definitely do-able, but why? The 31 spline side gears that you're getting it from has to be a traction lok to be able to still use the clutch paks with you're original rear. So if you're getting a 31 spline traction lok carrier anyway, why not use it instead considering it will have a stronger, thicker 1 7/8 cross shaft and more material than our weak stockers?

Because he doesn't want to have to re-shim the diff in the carrier. The existing diff can be removed, rebuilt and replaced w/o needing a lot of hassle when re-installing the diff. He needs to buy axles (because one is failing...bearing issue, IIRC) and WANTS to convert to 31 spline, now, and maybe put a stronger diff in, at another time. Funds don't exist to do it all at once. (We've all been there, done that.) Right?

Because he doesn't want to have to re-shim the diff in the carrier. The existing diff can be removed, rebuilt and replaced w/o needing a lot of hassle when re-installing the diff. He needs to buy axles (because one is failing...bearing issue, IIRC) and WANTS to convert to 31 spline, now, and maybe put a stronger diff in, at another time. Funds don't exist to do it all at once. (We've all been there, done that.) Right?

Pretty much, yeah.

I do not want to have to re-shim my carrier. Because that means pulling the whole rear end again and hauling it to another town to a guy that will do it for me.

Depending on how bad the axle is there is an offset replacement bearing that can save you the cost of new axles. Had to use one when the inner race started to slip on the axle shaft.