351, how long will the trans last?

bgjohnson

Founding Member
Sep 1, 2002
johnston,iowa
well here's the deal, i'm building a 351. AFR 205's, 9:1 compression, hogged out Typhoon intake, tfs stg 2 cam ect.... so anyways i was just wondering how long you think the stock trans will last? i'm thinkin with all the torque it won't be too long. and here's somthing else i need to consider, when it goes out i want a TKO 600 so i don't want to spend the money on a new clutch also and end up not being able to use it because the TKo 600 uses a different spline. so also how long do you think the King cobra clutch will last?
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The trick to making your stock tranny last is by using a stock clutch, that way the clutch will just slip instead of the tranny taking the stress. With that king cobra clutch the tranny shouldnt last long.

Put a stock clutch in and use high gears, 3.73's/4.10s

We deal TKO 500/600 with any spline you want. Stock T5 will last as long as you let it. Foot on the floor means short T5 life. OEM T5 can't take gear-bangin of any kind. You'll grenade it quick with hard shifts. I suggest baby'ing it while you save up for the TKO, then when ready, pull the T5.

hey pricha, what clutch are you running with that? and also don't you need the yoke upgrade and heavy duty crossmember or not? and one more question, on your AFR's are you doing a spring upgrade? man looks like i need to spend more then i thought.

Haven't purchased clutch yet.. probably going with King Cobra.....more street than strip so no outrageous clutch. Yes you need a different yoke and you have to modify the stock crossmember. Has to move back a couple of inches. I bought my AFR's on ebay but the machine shop that decked them said the springs were good to .600 and were fine for a hydraulic roller. The cam is fairly conservative, I told ED 80% street car so I want driveability. Hope this helps, Pat.