351 swap LT headers. BBK vs. Hooker Supercomps

MeanMussy

Founding Member
May 25, 2000
Louisville, KY
So what do you get for the extra $200 with Hooker Supercomps vs. BBK long tube 351W swap headers in a Fox??

Now, I'm alright spending the money for quality, but I also don't want to piss away $200 if they're the same quality.

Anyone have these headers in their car? Any experiences (fitment, ease of sparkplug removal, etc) with either?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger w/ and order all the parts I need to put this motor in my car, so I need to make up my mind soon.

Thanks all!

• Sponsors (?)

There is disadvantages and advantages to both the Hooker & BBK Header's. I used the BBK Long Tube's with my 351W swap and I have been fairly impressed with them. The BBK's fit great except for by the steering shaft were I had to notch the header just a bit so the shaft woudn't hit the pipe.(Minor) No problem's with plug clearence or anything else really. Mine came with a nickel/chrome plated finish so they look good even though they turned blue afterwhile. When it come's to power, the Hooker's would definetly be ahead of the BBK's. Hooker comes with the standard 3" Collector were as the BBK's come with the bolt on flange style which is great for sealing and no gasket problem's but it has shown power losses on the dyno when comparing the two. Really the only disadvantage of the Hooker's is the price and the fact that they are just a painted header were as the standard BBK's come with a chrome finish which may turn blue after a while but it's still better looking than a painted finish. Overall there both a great header and would work great for your application. It's really a matter of personal preference. I think the BBK's are the best bang for the buck if you are on a tight budget.

Unless you're going full on racing with your car, you dont need Hookers. The 3 inch collectors arent needed unless you're making crazy power, and that's the real reason they make more power than the BBKs. Swapping out parts with the Hookers would be more of a pain as well.

As for that blue rainbowing that the chrome gets, here's your solution: http://216.157.36.139/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ARS&Product_Code=607&Category_Code=CL
It surprises me that people dont mention this more often, as Harley riders have been using this kind of stuff for ever.

Go Hooker!

I have had several different styles of the BBK products(headers) and I think the quality is poor. I have also talked with major manufactures that used to carry their products but have dropped them due to quality control. Spend the 200 more and get a header that will last!

Perhaps its just me and the other 4 guys that have had the exact same problems with welds leaking and the studs breaking at the collectors.

My .02