Fox 351w - Bare Block

loyalblue

Jun 8, 2013
Katy, TX
Well, after several weeks of waiting to have my 351w block checked for integrity, my machinist tells me that the #6 cylinder is too thin to bore out (I don't want to re-sleeve or anything like that, I just want a good solid platform). I bought a long block for $200 and I crossed my fingers when I dropped it off. Anyway, I'm looking to buy just a bare, stock 351 block...nothing crazy, nothing DART. Just a nice seasoned 351 block. Does anyone have a place they can steer me that can help me out with this? I don't want to do the "junkyard" thing because it's just Russian Roulette when you take it to the machinist. Please advise.

• Sponsors (?)

You're going to be in the same boat with any "seasoned" block sorry to say. Really the only way around it is to buy a new aftermarket block. Sucks you ran into a bad one. You can contact Ford Strokers.com. Jim Woods is the owner(Woody) and he has a 408 package deal. He might just sell you a machined block and that way take the guess work/middle man(machinest out of the equation.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, after several weeks of waiting to have my 351w block checked for integrity, my machinist tells me that the #6 cylinder is too thin to bore out (I don't want to re-sleeve or anything like that, I just want a good solid platform). I bought a long block for $200 and I crossed my fingers when I dropped it off. Anyway, I'm looking to buy just a bare, stock 351 block...nothing crazy, nothing DART. Just a nice seasoned 351 block. Does anyone have a place they can steer me that can help me out with this? I don't want to do the "junkyard" thing because it's just Russian Roulette when you take it to the machinist. Please advise.

There's 2 for sale on WSM. one roller, std bore, another non roller .030" over.

You may already know, but the roller blocks are known to have cracks in the cam journal area. Just make sure you check that out if you look at another one in person.

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing wrong with sleeving, or call Jim...

Yeah, I'm going to call the machinist and see if that would be the only cylinder that would need a sleeve. If he can punch the others over without getting too thin then I'll sleeve just the one cylinder. If multiple cylinders need it, I might just try to find another block...can you tell I'm doing everything I can before I buy an aftermarket block (which is probably what it's going to come down to) :p

There may have been a time when sleeving was frowned on. Maybe it's still that way.All I know is that any "seasoned" block is gonna be a crap shoot, and sooner or later you're just gonna get tired of tearing apart JY engines only to find another hagged out cylinder. As there are no "new" stock 351w's coming out of Dearborn, the sources for rebuildable engines is getting narrower daily.
A sleeved engine isn't the end of the world,...it's what the world is coming to.
I have a I-6 that has all six cylinders sleeved.
The thinking is that I took the stock, thin wall cylinder out of the equation, and replaced those cylinders w/ 6 new cylinders that have a thicker wall than what I'd have had, had I tried to bore it conventionally. MOF, I now have a thicker cylinder wall than that engine came with from the factory the day Henry sold it new.