351W Headers

hipobuzz

Jul 22, 2007
:flag:
I am restoring a '67 fastback: 351W, T-5, coilovers, discs. I am at the stage of converting from auto brake pedal to manual brake/clutch pedals. I have the pedal support out (my hands may someday heal). Pedals and Modern Driveline clutch cable are on the way. My question is: what headers will clear the M-D cable set up? I am seeking a nice-sounding (throaty) car for the street. I want the 351 for the cubic inches.
Anybody done this conversion?
Thanks,
Hipobuzz

• Sponsors (?)

:flag:
I am restoring a '67 fastback: 351W, T-5, coilovers, discs. I am at the stage of converting from auto brake pedal to manual brake/clutch pedals. I have the pedal support out (my hands may someday heal). Pedals and Modern Driveline clutch cable are on the way. My question is: what headers will clear the M-D cable set up? I am seeking a nice-sounding (throaty) car for the street. I want the 351 for the cubic inches.
Anybody done this conversion?
Thanks,
Hipobuzz

Give this old curmudgeon a call and tell him what you got and see what he's got for you.

Ford Powertrain Applications

68stang351,
Sounds like we think alike. What headers (if any) did you use? Do you have a cable clutch linkage? I want a drivable (fairly tame) car that sounds tough.
Thanks,
Hipobuzz

Give this old curmudgeon a call and tell him what you got and see what he's got for you.

Ford Powertrain Applications

x2
Just ordered a 289 based step header today. Will clear the TCP rack too. I see he has two options for 351W, but he may have options not listed. WHat's really surprising are the FE headers he has. Curmudgeon. Too funny Jerry, haven't heard that in a long time... :D

I have been doing some research. JBA (JBA Performance Exhaust) makes a set of mid-length headers for the '67-'68 with the 351w and cable clutch. The only problem is that they are stainless and very pricey ($580 and $755 for stainless/ceramic. Hedman also makes a set for the "67'-68/351w (much cheaper, $165). I e-mailed Modern Driveline to find out if the M-D cable will clear, but they wern't sure.
Thanks for your suggestions. Still looking for info on the Hedmans. Incidentally, they spell headers "hedders" (Hedman hedders, get it? Very cute).
Hipobuzz

I am using Hedman 351 swap headers (shorty) with a Ron Morris cable conversion kit. I have no interference problems at all.

I first put that engine in with a set of longtubes from a 69, but one of the primaries came down right in front of the bellhousing about an inch from where the cable housing had to go into it so I ordered those shorty swap headers and they work great.

I have shorty headman headers on my 351w with 2.5 exhaust 40 deltaflows and sounds pretty mean IMO. HEAR IT HERE

We have the same exhaust except I don't have tailpipes, I don't even have dumps, it comes right out of the muffler outlet. It sounds real deep that way.

However, I'm thinking of getting a set of tailpipes made that I can slip and clamp onto my mufflers, so I don't have to go through the hassle of getting it inspected with no tips.