351W into a 67

What is necessary to install a new 351w wiht a C4 into a 67 coupe? This is a swap from a 289/C4 setup. The engine in question is the M-6007-S58 351W from FRPP.

I want to keep the power steering and add a/c in the near future.

Will the additional weight of the bigger engine be an issue? I installed the Pro Motorsports 390-520 variable rate springs.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

this is pratically a bolt in swap. you will need to adapt or change a couple of brackets. stock exhaust manifolds will fit nicely, but you can get swap headers also. you can use the same C4 that was behind the 289.

ohyaa said:
Will the brackets from a 70 351 model work for the alt, p/s, and a/c? What about the timing cover and oil pan, take them from the 289?

the brackets from a 70 351w will work fine.

timing cover you can take from the 289, or use the 351w cover as they interchange.

oilpan is a different story, it has to be 351w specific. there were a couple of changes to the 351w oilpan;
1: the rear main on the 351w is larger than the one on the 289 and thus the seal cutout on the 351w pan is much larger.
2: the pan rail was changed slightly, thus the pan gaskets are different. the nice thing is that any 351w front sump pan will work just fine.

one small problem regarding the pan though, check the clearance between the pan and the crossmember that runs under the engine. sometimes the pan will hit that member, and you will need to dent the pan at that point for clearance.

for headers i like the tri-y headers for the street. look for a 1 5/8" tube header though for the 351w.

the brackets from a 70 351w will work fine.

timing cover you can take from the 289, or use the 351w cover as they interchange.

oilpan is a different story, it has to be 351w specific. there were a couple of changes to the 351w oilpan;
1: the rear main on the 351w is larger than the one on the 289 and thus the seal cutout on the 351w pan is much larger.
2: the pan rail was changed slightly, thus the pan gaskets are different. the nice thing is that any 351w front sump pan will work just fine.

one small problem regarding the pan though, check the clearance between the pan and the crossmember that runs under the engine. sometimes the pan will hit that member, and you will need to dent the pan at that point for clearance.

for headers i like the tri-y headers for the street. look for a 1 5/8" tube header though for the 351w.

Hi I just wanted to add that if you decide to use an aluminum cobra oil pan the driverside steering arm will hit the oil pan so it must be slotted and then tig welded. I have just had this issue with my 68 fastback. The cross member issue was an easy fix with washers used as shims. I used headman headders for a 69 351w from cj pony parts. The other issue is hood clearance with a cobra air cleaner. I opted to use a boss 429 scoop! Sorry purists! I think it looks deadly, plus wicked air flow. I will attach pics when the car is finished.