3bar GM style MAP sensor install

neoxaero

Oct 3, 2008
So I'm installing a 3bar GM style MAP sensor in my car to work with the AEM standalone I purchased

So I need to connect 3 wires for it

A. is ground
B. is signal wire to ECM
C. is 5v signal wire

Pretty easy over all.. However, is there anywhere under the hood I can get a 5v signal from? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

So I'm installing a 3bar GM style MAP sensor in my car to work with the AEM standalone I purchased

So I need to connect 3 wires for it

A. is ground
B. is signal wire to ECM
C. is 5v signal wire

Pretty easy over all.. However, is there anywhere under the hood I can get a 5v signal from? :shrug:

I don't believe so. You can find a 12V to 5V DC / DC converter at any electronic supply house. I just installed some 125V to 12V converters in a substation in New York, they were around 85 bucks and off the shelf.

What kind of current does the MAP draw? Thats the ticket. You can get converters in many wattage sizes so you have to determine the current load to order the correct unit.

Wattage = Volts X Amps

Adam

After thinking about it.. the TPS and EGR Valve position sensor are both 5v inputs, right?

According to the wiring schematic the both have inputs a common input (brn/wht wire)....

So I should be able to just splice into this wire and connect it to the MAP...

Whats the voltage input for the MAF sensor? Shouldn't be any reason not to just lop off the connector and pull my voltage from there....

You really need to calculate the load you are going to impose on the system. You don't want to be blowing fuses or otherwise affecting the voltage readings of devices on the same feeder. Killercanary switched to MAP, shoot him a PM, maybe he can help you out.

I could be worrying about nothing but I'm an electrical engineer, take it for what its worth.

Adam

Any reason to ground it back to the AEM ground? or was just a convience thing?

I was planning on doing it the same way (well, was gonna do the ground and signal wire to the ECU.. didn't know where to get the source from though.. lol) ... would be nice to have all the wires starting and terminating at one location :)

Why don't you call AEM and ask them? or the dealer you purchased it from? Get the info you need from the people that made or sold your stand alone.

I run a F.A.S.T B2B stand alone and the MAP sensor wiring was already there, I just had to plug in the MAP sensor, and it was done, no splicing or any of that B.S.

Any reason to ground it back to the AEM ground? or was just a convience thing?

I was planning on doing it the same way (well, was gonna do the ground and signal wire to the ECU.. didn't know where to get the source from though.. lol) ... would be nice to have all the wires starting and terminating at one location :)

Well it was both convienient and practical. I installed a dedicated ground from the battery to the ECU ground to ensure that there wouldn't be a grounding issue. Since there were two leads from the MAP to the ECU it made sense to run all 3 to a common location.

Hey toyman,

I've wired up the MAP sensor and everything is good there..

I was wondering about the AIT... Theres one already in the up-pipe from my S/C that i assume uses the stock wiring harness.. did you have to wire up the AIT or does the stock wiring harness take care of it?

Thanks,
Neo

Hey toyman,

I've wired up the MAP sensor and everything is good there..

I was wondering about the AIT... Theres one already in the up-pipe from my S/C that i assume uses the stock wiring harness.. did you have to wire up the AIT or does the stock wiring harness take care of it?

Thanks,
Neo

I relocated the IAT sensor to the #5 intake runner. I just had to extend the harness leads. So yes you can use the stock harness. If you are not using the Ford AIT you will have to do a calibration in the AEM setup for your sensor.