4:10s and 245's traction?

Johnlas

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2000
Tampa, Florida
So there are a ton of threads on here about the 4 10s being the way to go as far as gears on a n/a mustang, yet I have questions regarding traction issues. I have found many mixed responses (by searching the forums) about the traction either being fine, or not there at all. I am very interested in getting the 4 10s on my 01 gt, but I don't want to have to run D/R's around just so I can accelerate hard every now and again. I guess I'm just looking for some feed back from those of you who have gotten the 4 10s and if there really were any problems getting the stock size tires to hook up, and what kind of gains you have seen in the 1/4th mile. :banana: thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Traction? :lol: :rlaugh:

Alright, fine, serious answer. I still have the stock tires on my car. I also have MM standard LCA's and Steeda heavy duty UCA's. Haven't been at the track since the gears, pulleys, and T/A.

These things were installed in the fall, so I've got the little extra HP from the cool air, and a little less traction because of the cold pavement. So theoretically this would be my worst condition for traction.

I haven't done any track-like launches, but I can tell you you'll spin 1st gear if you just smash the throttle to the ground. If you work your way into the throttle as you go up 1st gear, you should be fine.

I take it easy on the 1-2 shift on the street, maybe once in a while I'll do a decent shift, but again, no track-like pounding the gears. In those situations the control arms do a pretty good job of keeping the rear end in check. I'm sure if I slam it into 2nd with some force it'll lay down some skid marks. :nice:

One of these day's I'll stop being lazy and get some extra wheels with some DR's. Can't wait to see what that launch will feel like. :banana:

My traction was absolutely horrible with stock tires. My Nitto 555's helped quite a bit, and upper and lower control arm's helped a ton! Subframes are going on soon to further help traction, as I still break loose at about 3500 in first gear to redline. Remember, this is on a "wussy" 97 GT.

Oh yeah, I have MM full-length subframes with cross-braces too. :nice:

But I just tell everyone to go with 4.10's and be done with it. Don't worry about highway driving (not a problem), traction, or anything like that. All that junk is secondary to the huge grin stuck on your face for a week after you punch it for the first time. :nice:

GinoGT said:
Traction? :lol: :rlaugh:

Alright, fine, serious answer. I still have the stock tires on my car. I also have MM standard LCA's and Steeda heavy duty UCA's. Haven't been at the track since the gears, pulleys, and T/A.

These things were installed in the fall, so I've got the little extra HP from the cool air, and a little less traction because of the cold pavement. So theoretically this would be my worst condition for traction.

I haven't done any track-like launches, but I can tell you you'll spin 1st gear if you just smash the throttle to the ground. If you work your way into the throttle as you go up 1st gear, you should be fine.

I take it easy on the 1-2 shift on the street, maybe once in a while I'll do a decent shift, but again, no track-like pounding the gears. In those situations the control arms do a pretty good job of keeping the rear end in check. I'm sure if I slam it into 2nd with some force it'll lay down some skid marks. :nice:

One of these day's I'll stop being lazy and get some extra wheels with some DR's. Can't wait to see what that launch will feel like. :banana:

:scratch:

I have brand new Nitto 555's in 275/40-17 and 4.10's. I went out shortly after the gears were installed in cold weather and tried to launch the car. :rlaugh: Not gonna happen, unless you ease into it. Just idling with the clutch out and slamming the loud pedal will ignite the tires. Then, I shifted hard into 2nd. It spun until the limiter. Shifted to 3rd.....big chirp. :D But, when done right I can actually launch on the street now. Just can't get too excited.

I have stock tires but haven't taken it to the track yet. Traction is a bit rough...you'll definitely get your tires to spin pretty easily in 1st-3rd gear if you get on it. LCA's are on their way, and I'll probably get new tires sometime next year :D

traction wont be an issue if you learn how to drive, just some guy(matt) on here was crying after he got his gears and couldnt beat his 13.5x he had on the stock gears. a feww weeks later after he made some more trips to the track he ran a 13.2x with a 1.9x 60' on stock gatorbacks. the people that are telling you you wont be able to hook are the same guys that need more seat time, i should know, i was one of them last year when i had my gears put in

Practice makes perfect. I slip the hell out of my clutch to launch. Not good for the clutch granted but I can get pretty good traction with minimal spin. Just try different styles and you will find one that suits you.

since i have a stock car w/ just 4.10s, i will add a little. when i first got the 4.10s in, my traction was horrible!! that was about 5k miles ago at 10k miles (now at ~ 15.5k miles). i still have stock rubber that is in need of replacing, but now traction is even worse IF i drive hard. if i launch hard (drop the clutch) at 2k rpms, i will spin through first, second, and chirp 3rd, depending on how warm the rubber already is. however, i can slip the clutch at ~2k rpms and get a decent launch, but then still have to be careful about launching hard into 2nd, for i will still spin. driving in 1st at ~ 3k rpms and flooring it will net a small amount of traction issues, and again more spin into the 1-2 shift if i take it to within 300 rpms of redline. im sure with some stickier rubbers and maybe some subframes connectors, this will be hardly even an issue, but when my dad still limits "modding", i just have to live w/ it and drive normal :nonono: hope this helps