4.6 Cams

im thinken about cams.....and will prob. be doin the install myself but i've never really fooled with a ohc moter much, how difficult is it to swap out the cams and how long would it take?and for that matter, what kind should i get

• Sponsors (?)

There are a couple articles around here about cam installs if you search for "cams". Cams are definetly worth the money, especially if you install them yourself. For $700 you can get some VT stage 2's and new valve springs and probably get about 25 to 30 horsepower out of it depending on what other mods you have. Unfortunetly nothing else can give you 30 hp for under $700 on a 4.6.

SpitfireMk24 said:
dont know much about em, but I hear they are way harder to install on an ohc 4.6 than a 5.0. Plus, i dont think they are worth the money, IMO, but no one can decide that for you!

if you don't know much about them then how can you say they are not worth the money!!!!
they are definately worth the money...what other mods can you get 25-35hp for 500-600 dollar investment? They are not an easy install....but not that difficult either if you have some patience and time. There have been many write up and how to articles on this. search these forums for cam install and check over on modular depot, they also have great how to installs for the cams....
I personally have become a fan of VT cams, i have heard nothing but great things about the product.

SpitfireMk24 said:
dont know much about em, but I hear they are way harder to install on an ohc 4.6 than a 5.0. Plus, i dont think they are worth the money, IMO, but no one can decide that for you!

they arent worth the money???? :rolleyes: :notnice: dont ever post again in Tech.

The install is a little bit of a pain compared to a OHV engine but aslong as you get the timing right you are fine. Follow instructions to a T and you wont have any problems.

Whether cams are worth it or not entirely depends on you, and what you're looking for.
The install is a pain in the ass if you have to do valve springs, which you will if you go with anything larger than a stage 1 type cam (I'd install springs regardless of the cam size just for peace of mind). Install can take anywhere from 4 hours on. If you're not too sure of what you're doing and you're doing the install by yourself, don't bother with a time estimate, just plan on it taking quite a while.

sorry :( I thought they were more expensive, and I didnt know most people put them in themselves.

I personally like to sacrifice zero driveability, and dont cams cost you gas mileage? :shrug: I just dont know much about them, and dont have any experience either. so I shouldnt have said anything.

Im not upset that Ive been completely proved wrong, but maybe you could have been a bit nicer about it, and keep stangnet a happy place? :shrug:

SpitfireMk24 said:
sorry :( I thought they were more expensive, and I didnt know most people put them in themselves.

I personally like to sacrifice zero driveability, and dont cams cost you gas mileage? :shrug: I just dont know much about them, and dont have any experience either. so I shouldnt have said anything.

Im not upset that Ive been completely proved wrong, but maybe you could have been a bit nicer about it, and keep stangnet a happy place? :shrug:

:lol: :rlaugh: :cheers: sorry bro beers on me! oh wait just checked your profile....you were born in 86 you need to wait alittle more.

any time you can bolt on 20 to 30 HP for relatively minimal $ I'm all ears.

In a world of price vs. performance + ease install, I'd consider LTs and a matching mid pipe for less time and $, spent for relatively the same power gains. Plus, later on down the road, this set up would go much better w/a power adder if wanted, OR compliment the stage 2 or 3 cams nicely

SpitfireMk24 said:

cams are one of the best mods i've done. period. drivability isn't affected at all. i actually got better gas milage on my last 2+ hour trip on the interstate. i'm not saying that they make gas milage better, it's just i happened to get better milage than i normally do on that first trip :shrug: as far as regular milage, mine hasn't been affected at all, i get the exact same milage as before. & the only thing that is different in everyday driving is the nice lope at idle :D